Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Go Go Go
Well this took a few tries. As this is a recording of a live performance, some of the tracks are not well captured. There is also a good amount of leakage across the board. It must have been a small club. None the less, after trying a few things and doing a complete rethink I believe I captured a good feel for this song.

I do love Nicki's voice. It has a recognizable and unique character to it. It took a lot of processing to get it to lay properly in the mix, but once I found it, I think it worked well.

I hope you enjoy my take and comments are always appreciated.

.mp3    Nicki Bluhm & The Gamblers - GoGoGo A.mp3 --  (Download: 4.71 MB)

.mp3    Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers - GoGoGo B.mp3 --  (Download: 4.71 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nice sounding and well balanced mix!! My only thought might is the snare too thin and on low volume. Maybe you have some phasing problems with room mics or overheads? Smile
(19-11-2015, 11:00 PM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote: Nice sounding and well balanced mix!! My only thought might is the snare too thin and on low volume. Maybe you have some phasing problems with room mics or overheads? Smile

Andreas,
Thanks for the note. I agree. The snare sounds bad. Most of the snare comes from the overheads as the snare track was just horrible. It sounded like a condenser with a broken capsule placed too close to the snares. It was basically unusable. I could have tried replacing the snare track, but hey, I'm not that good yet.

There is a lot of leakage everywhere on these tracks which makes it that much tougher to mix like a studio track. So I didn't.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
So I added mix B which I think is a better attempt at this tough mix. This is fuller without pumping too much compression. There is some distortion on the lead vocal which I'm not happy about but over-all it lays better. There is more distinction of players facilitated by eliminating the accoustic guitar which never had a place to be in the mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(21-11-2015, 07:14 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: ... There is more distinction of players facilitated by eliminating the accoustic guitar which never had a place to be in the mix.

(only auditioned mix B)

in other words, you couldn't get the acoustic to fit into the ambiance because it was DI'd? i found the bloom on the egtr to be the challenge really, because it wanted to smother itself right across the sound stage; you did really well to contain this, i must say! awesome.

the problem you've created here, is the LCR approach, which really doesn't go well in a pair of headphones and makes the stage sound unreal. it's this glitch that makes it a distraction, but over the speakers it sounds super....but then it would because the room and the 60 degree separation makes it so. in the LCR era nobody had headphones anyway....and most only had mono record decks pretty much until the 70's, then LCR was dispensed with as desks were upgraded to real panning.

a major problem the LCR approach brings with it, is fatigue [i'm still talking headphones]. if you don't have instruments in both the L and R zones sharing the same frequency material, the brightest will be very fatiguing. i found this song uncomfortable to listen to, for this reason. i'm not saying your equalisation is at fault here; actually, i liked your judgement on that. but the guitar is bright and the keyboard isn't. and this is where the acoustic can come in to save your bacon....because it can be EQ'd to balance against the egtr IF they are panned to opposite sides.

i thought you got the balance between the close mics and the room well judged generally, but i must admit, i'd have liked to have heard that acoustic, especially given the genre more often than not has an acoustic in it somewhere. i agree it adds to the clutter a bit, however, that's what a fader is all about. how about perhaps bringing the gtr in during the chorus to drive the song a little bit harder, say, while keeping it out of the main sections to let the egtr and keyboard hold our attention? nobody wants to hear all instruments banging endlessly in a song, eh? we like contrasts and some variation.

another big challenge with the song, was getting the drum kit to sound like it was part of the performance? those close mics will present a forward and unrealistic impression of the kit, and that's what i got here. the kick is a good example of unnatural ambiance - very forward, very dry and very detached as a consequence.

the vocal was difficult, contributed partly by her poor mic technique. almost every word at the commencement of a new line is lost and lacks energy....then suddenly up she comes. smacking a compressor on her to try and overcome this problem, makes for an unpleasant performance, to my ears, most likely because there's already a tonne of processing taking place at the desk when it was tracked?

it's these sorts of things that makes this song hard work to try and get right, so you have my utmost sympathy and understanding!

my major comment regards the mp3 quality here. you've given us a high amount of data reduction which contains a hell of a lot of artifacts as a consequence. i strongly recommend that you try and teach your ears to hear these artifacts yourself and post 320kbps in future. quality audio needs quality ears....and quality ears help to make a quality mixer. Wink

i'd also back off all your compressors.....this is a hot mix to my ears. Wink

given the issues of live sound and all that stuff, i think you did a really good job. listening over speakers, not sitting in the sweetspot, and not critically listening, i'd be very happy with it. and lets be honest, who in their right mind wants to critically listen to a live recording anyway?

well done Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(21-11-2015, 11:43 AM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(21-11-2015, 07:14 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: ... There is more distinction of players facilitated by eliminating the accoustic guitar which never had a place to be in the mix.

(only auditioned mix B)

in other words, you couldn't get the acoustic to fit into the ambiance because it was DI'd? i found the bloom on the egtr to be the challenge really, because it wanted to smother itself right across the sound stage; you did really well to contain this, i must say! awesome.

the problem you've created here, is the LCR approach, which really doesn't go well in a pair of headphones and makes the stage sound unreal. it's this glitch that makes it a distraction, but over the speakers it sounds super....but then it would because the room and the 60 degree separation makes it so. in the LCR era nobody had headphones anyway....and most only had mono record decks pretty much until the 70's, then LCR was dispensed with as desks were upgraded to real panning.

a major problem the LCR approach brings with it, is fatigue [i'm still talking headphones]. if you don't have instruments in both the L and R zones sharing the same frequency material, the brightest will be very fatiguing. i found this song uncomfortable to listen to, for this reason. i'm not saying your equalisation is at fault here; actually, i liked your judgement on that. but the guitar is bright and the keyboard isn't. and this is where the acoustic can come in to save your bacon....because it can be EQ'd to balance against the egtr IF they are panned to opposite sides.

i thought you got the balance between the close mics and the room well judged generally, but i must admit, i'd have liked to have heard that acoustic, especially given the genre more often than not has an acoustic in it somewhere. i agree it adds to the clutter a bit, however, that's what a fader is all about. how about perhaps bringing the gtr in during the chorus to drive the song a little bit harder, say, while keeping it out of the main sections to let the egtr and keyboard hold our attention? nobody wants to hear all instruments banging endlessly in a song, eh? we like contrasts and some variation.

another big challenge with the song, was getting the drum kit to sound like it was part of the performance? those close mics will present a forward and unrealistic impression of the kit, and that's what i got here. the kick is a good example of unnatural ambiance - very forward, very dry and very detached as a consequence.

the vocal was difficult, contributed partly by her poor mic technique. almost every word at the commencement of a new line is lost and lacks energy....then suddenly up she comes. smacking a compressor on her to try and overcome this problem, makes for an unpleasant performance, to my ears, most likely because there's already a tonne of processing taking place at the desk when it was tracked?

it's these sorts of things that makes this song hard work to try and get right, so you have my utmost sympathy and understanding!

my major comment regards the mp3 quality here. you've given us a high amount of data reduction which contains a hell of a lot of artifacts as a consequence. i strongly recommend that you try and teach your ears to hear these artifacts yourself and post 320kbps in future. quality audio needs quality ears....and quality ears help to make a quality mixer. Wink

i'd also back off all your compressors.....this is a hot mix to my ears. Wink

given the issues of live sound and all that stuff, i think you did a really good job. listening over speakers, not sitting in the sweetspot, and not critically listening, i'd be very happy with it. and lets be honest, who in their right mind wants to critically listen to a live recording anyway?

well done Big Grin

"...in other words, you couldn't get the acoustic to fit into the ambiance because it was DI'd? i found the bloom on the egtr to be the challenge really, because it wanted to smother itself right across the sound stage; you did really well to contain this, i must say! awesome."

No. I would not say that. The sound of the acoustic guitar was the best recorded instrument of the lot. However, finding the proper level and place for this always resulted in poor results. I could have under-mixed it but chose to eliminate it all together. You wouldn't believe how good the band sounds when you kill the vocal mics. There is so much bleed it is extremely difficult to get this mix sounding anything close to acceptable. Her voice is soft but the frequency content is horrible. This is a classic case of the wrong mic for the vocalist. Then you mention the close mics on the drums. I'm not sure what you heard in your tracks but the snare drum is a joke and the kick is almost as bad.

Trying to give this song life and power was very difficult because of the quality of the recorded instruments and the poor voical performance and worse recording. My guess would be this was performed on a small tight stage and trying to put that in a big sound field is not easy, especially considering the amount of leakage. I tried using gates where I could but even with filters gate response was very inconsistent and had to be removed.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]