Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Horses - Mix by Simone Bresciani
Hi Everyone,
this is my attempt to mix "Dark Horses" by The Long Wait.

I'm waiting for your thoughts, critics and advices.

Have a nice day!
Simone

.mp3    DarkHorses-Mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 6.65 MB)

hi, and welcome.

you've some good things happening in this mix. the main thing which is spoiling it is the treble. what worries me a bit is that your judgement is being skewed for some reason and it's causing you to mix bright...very bright. the simple cure is to hi-cut to bring the treble under control, but you need to hear the treble reasonably accurately in order to make the necessary adjustments?

did you mix this on headphones by any chance, or a playback device which doesn't present high frequencies well? such a situation would contribute to skewing your judgement. i guess all will be revealed shortly....?

i personally wouldn't employ delays in this song, it contradicts the genre(?) and i have to admit it sounds cheesy because of it. it's always a good idea if we aren't too familiar with a genre, to do some research first and get a handle on what listeners have come to expect.

you also need to keep an eye on your master buss....it's clipping and causing distortion. best to drop a limiter on it to prevent this (set it to -0.5dBFS ready for conversion to mp3). i also recommend you don't compress the final buss as hard as you have. aim for -14LUFS generally. this came out at -10LUFS.....not too far out, but enough to lose dynamics. the points i've made each contribute to reducing audio quality rather than improving it so just attending to these issues will move your mixing forwards in a good way.

can i ask you to post 320kbps mp3 in future, for quality reasons? ta

please don't forget to give others feedback, importantly it will improve your listening skills no end and you can put this skill as it develops, into assessing your own work. this is a 2-way street, so contribute, yeah? thanks in advance.

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hi and thank you for your answer!

(11-11-2015, 11:46 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: did you mix this on headphones by any chance, or a playback device which doesn't present high frequencies well? such a situation would contribute to skewing your judgement. i guess all will be revealed shortly....?

I mixed this song through headphones AKG k141, shortly I'll have my new monitor Alesis Elevate 5 and I will try something new using speakers.
The thing that I didn't do is to use a reference track, my bad.... I have to force myself to use it! Smile

(11-11-2015, 11:46 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i personally wouldn't employ delays in this song, it contradicts the genre(?) and i have to admit it sounds cheesy because of it. it's always a good idea if we aren't too familiar with a genre, to do some research first and get a handle on what listeners have come to expect.

Actually country/rock is not my genre, but I wanted to do some experiments adding delay in a sort of "pop" way Wink

(11-11-2015, 11:46 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: you also need to keep an eye on your master buss....it's clipping and causing distortion. best to drop a limiter on it to prevent this (set it to -0.5dBFS ready for conversion to mp3). i also recommend you don't compress the final buss as hard as you have. aim for -14LUFS generally. this came out at -10LUFS.....not too far out, but enough to lose dynamics. the points i've made each contribute to reducing audio quality rather than improving it so just attending to these issues will move your mixing forwards in a good way.

This is a mix with a touch of mastering using Slate FGX on the master. It's weird that it's clipping 'cause I've added a limiter ad the end. Maybe I pushed it too hot, but peak was -0.1db.
Can I ask you what do you use to measure loudness? Some 3rd part plugin? Smile

.... and yes... my next mixes will be at 320 Big Grin

(11-11-2015, 11:46 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: please don't forget to give others feedback, importantly it will improve your listening skills no end and you can put this skill as it develops, into assessing your own work. this is a 2-way street, so contribute, yeah? thanks in advance.

I will surely "take a ride" through the other discussion to contribute... maybe listening genres that are close to mine (Pop/Dance/EDM)

Thanks again!!