Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Mix (finally!)
06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: My Mix (finally!)
Made some subtle EQ and Multiband Compression changes, in line with the suggestions of previous posts...

What's your verdict? Wink

.mp3   Bounty_mp3MST_RMC.mp3 --  (Download: 7.29 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I like the vocals a tidy mix i think you have here,i find the snare rather disturbing tho it just dont sound right to me.
07-05-2013, 06:17 AM
(26-04-2013 10:25 AM)SquareCell Wrote:  Looks like this song takes more than one pass to get right!

Here is my second upload (actually a version 3!) with (hopefully) better low-end definition and better general sound sculpting.

I reworked the reverb and ambience on the main vox, ducked the stereo strings against the main vox (thanks to Xabi for the insight), better defined the kick (some 80Hz lift and ssl channel compression) and better juxtaposed the bass against it to fill in the lower mids scooped out from the inner kick mic. Oh, and I gave the whole mix a gentle (0.6db) HMF/HF tilt whils still trying to keep a warm 'vintage' vibe.

Hope it makes a bit more sense...

and as usual - comments and critique are welcome, appreciated and needed Wink

I also really like what you've done here and agree with Don that you have achieved your goal.

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
07-05-2013, 06:18 AM
(07-05-2013 06:17 AM)bmullen Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 10:25 AM)SquareCell Wrote:  Looks like this song takes more than one pass to get right!

Here is my second upload (actually a version 3!) with (hopefully) better low-end definition and better general sound sculpting.

I reworked the reverb and ambience on the main vox, ducked the stereo strings against the main vox (thanks to Xabi for the insight), better defined the kick (some 80Hz lift and ssl channel compression) and better juxtaposed the bass against it to fill in the lower mids scooped out from the inner kick mic. Oh, and I gave the whole mix a gentle (0.6db) HMF/HF tilt whils still trying to keep a warm 'vintage' vibe.

Hope it makes a bit more sense...

and as usual - comments and critique are welcome, appreciated and needed Wink

I also really like what you've done here and agree with Don that you have achieved your goal.

Thanks for your comments Wink
07-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Sounds fantastic !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

07-05-2013, 11:46 AM
(07-05-2013 11:40 AM)thedon Wrote:  Sounds fantastic !

Thanks!
01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi SquareCell,

I know, you've moved on since, but having just worked on this song myself, I feel free to comment here as well.

First of all: Good work! And a so different approach to mine...

Now shame on you for dropping the bass during the outro Big Grin No, I can understand why you did that and it is a valid decision.
You've managed to create a very present but clear mix that is easy to listen to. Maybe the snare is a touch too much, but this is more discussing aesthetics than problems. I actually (in reference to my own mix) like the bass sound you've created here very much. Very humble but works great. That sound-fx is a nice touch.

Cheers
Artbass
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Artbass,

Thanks for your comments and critique - much appreciated Wink

Incidentally a good number of my musician friends are bass players, so I find myself naturally giving extra care to the bass tone and general 'vibe'... I keep the four stringers in very high esteem Big Grin

Cheers,

Clinton
01-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Hey Clinton !

Brilliant mix ! I don't know what to say ... Details which are only a matter of taste so I won't argue Smile I just love it ! I mixed it myself too and it's been a pleasure rediscovering this song as a listener !

Great job !
01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks, Xabi!

Support my video work!
Advertisement: