Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Mix Rescue' mix
Here's the mix I did of this track for Sound On Sound magazine's May 2012 'Mix Rescue' column, using only Cockos Reaper and a variety of third-party plug-ins. Phase was a big issue with this multitrack, and the printed-in guitar effects also tied my hands a bit, but it didn't work out too badly in the end. Lots of multi-miked guitar layers to sift through, here, and a number of phase issues to address with the piano, but all in all I had a lot of fun doing this one. If you like the sound of this mix, then you can download my full Reaper project here. They've also since done rather a nice video on Holkham beach in Norfolk.

.mp3    1205_Remix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.13 MB)

Hey Mike, I've got a quick question for whenever you have some time. The main piano track for this mix is driving me absolutely bonkers! There are some resonances on both near and distant tracks that at least to my ears are pretty harsh, particularly some nasty, metallic ringing around 1100 kHz and 5000 kHz (flutter echo?)... I can't seem to notch them out without really hurting the piano sound Sad

However... when I pulled up your version, I noticed the same ringing. Part of me assumes (and hopes) you left the ringing well enough alone because there was no practical way to deal with it without tossing the baby with the bathwater... but then another part of me is terrified that I'm not hearing something accurately. Any chance you could shed some light on this for me?

Thanks again for running this website... it's made a world of difference in my mixing Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hi pauli,

Really busy at the mo, so I'll only be able to have a proper listen in a couple of weeks. Can't quite remember the way I approached this mix. It was a while ago! Feel free to remind me if I forget!

Cheers,

Mike S.
Thanks Mike, take your time!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Great vox on this,very smooth.