Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Avalon, All i know mix 3 final
Lovin this track so i thought i would give it a goSmile all comments welcomed.

.mp3    AVALON,ALL I KNOW.mp3 --  (Download: 9.98 MB)

Hi Cudjoe
Sounds pretty good to me ,one minor thing that is jumping out probably because I'm listening for it and the average listener may not notice is, the the panned piano attack could be softer ,maybe with a touch more attack on compression , effects or maybe balancing a little more even between channels ? Like at 3.49 it sounds like it moves to the center and less distracting.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi thedon yes you are correct about the average listener might not notice, in fact it was done deliberately and the average listener will probably (feel) something as change,cheers pal for your review Smile
hi Cudjoe, Its a good mix overall, good balance and sound. Drier and more modern sounding than mine. everything is in the right place, but somehow I find it a little too conservative. Its a matter of tastes. I´d like that some elements stick out. those kind of decissions can give a lot of excitment to the mix. keep on rokin!!
Hi xaco thanks for your review that was done intensionly because the track has an eighties vibe to it and back then nothing really poked out of a mix Smile thanks again.
Cudjoe -

Thanks for the kind words and great mix! I'm the keyboardist and backing vocalist for Avalon. We recorded this track back in 1994 at Audio Art Studios (now Sonica) in Atlanta, GA. It was great fun and we were pretty happy with the mix when all was said and done....but I have to say it's really nice to really hear the backing vocals for the first time. They always seemed a little buried in the mix to me. I agree that the piano attack is a bit much. That was originally the piano from the EMU Proteus and it was already pretty brite. It could certainly stand to be toned down a little. Other than that, I thought it was a killer mix! Great job!!

- Matt
Ok thought i would tackle that piano Smile please leave reviews cheers.

.mp3    Avalon,All I Know mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.87 MB)

Really nice mix, great job. Great balance, nice work with the frequencies and the main vocals sound so good. Like the song very much (also props to the musicians)!
I would consider a few things to fix:
1. More click on the kick because on small speakers you just can't hear when it's hitting.
2. A bit more low end on the snare because although the high end is really nicely done I personally miss a bit of smack from it. Maybe you try the Steven Slate snare force trick Smile
3. A tiny bit of low end on the bass (a dB or two on ~100-125Hz or even a exciter because this bass lacks mass Big Grin)
4. A dB or two less volume on the hihat
5. I thing you've overdid a bit with the high end boost. Probably the VCC is set too hot because I can smell a bit of high end distortion especially on the chorus backing vocals which are a bit unpleasant to the ear. Maybe the amount of high end is good but try rather to boost it with eq than with the VCC or whatever else your using.
6. The solo guitars could use a bit of a precise cut around 3-3.5 kHz to remove some hashness and also there is especially too much of that distorted high end in them that I've mentioned in point 5.
7. As usual - automation, some delay, reverb and width changes makes the song a lot more interesting.

Keep up the great work!

Tested on: Yamaha HS7, Behinger Behritone C50A (mono), Microlab FC330, Brainvawz HM5 in a fully adapted room Smile
Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio
(02-03-2016, 09:34 PM)mixingafterhours Wrote: Really nice mix, great job. Great balance, nice work with the frequencies and the main vocals sound so good. Like the song very much (also props to the musicians)!
I would consider a few things to fix:
1. More click on the kick because on small speakers you just can't hear when it's hitting.
2. A bit more low end on the snare because although the high end is really nicely done I personally miss a bit of smack from it. Maybe you try the Steven Slate snare force trick Smile
3. A tiny bit of low end on the bass (a dB or two on ~100-125Hz or even a exciter because this bass lacks mass Big Grin)
4. A dB or two less volume on the hihat
5. I thing you've overdid a bit with the high end boost. Probably the VCC is set too hot because I can smell a bit of high end distortion especially on the chorus backing vocals which are a bit unpleasant to the ear. Maybe the amount of high end is good but try rather to boost it with eq than with the VCC or whatever else your using.
6. The solo guitars could use a bit of a precise cut around 3-3.5 kHz to remove some hashness and also there is especially too much of that distorted high end in them that I've mentioned in point 5.
7. As usual - automation, some delay, reverb and width changes makes the song a lot more interesting.

Keep up the great work!

Tested on: Yamaha HS7, Behinger Behritone C50A (mono), Microlab FC330, Brainvawz HM5 in a fully adapted room Smile
Thanks again Patrick
Holy Thompson Twins/ Thomas Dolby sounding mix Batman! I'm turning my collar up and feathering my hair , reaching for argyle socks in the back of the drawer.
If you appreciate my feedback, please visit one of my mixes and give your thoughts.