Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milk Cow Blues
My first country song! I wonder how often that's been said here. :-)

The bass was as advertised - uneven and with a bit of an odd eq. I choose to dump out a bit of the under 50hz and bumped 100hz along with a compressor set to about 3 to 1.

The vocals had a couple of instances where the printed level was too hot so I ducked those and also used a limiter to try and keep some of the lead vocal from going too far. I also used a couple of De-essers in a chain along with a HPF as well as a notch around 3600.

The overheads sounded pretty nice to me so I actually left them and worked with them as the foundation of my drums. I slightly compressed and eq'd the kick, snare, and tom. I used less a lot less tom and sent all of them to my drum bus. I wanted the drums to breath so I didn't compress them and kept them a little lower in the mix than I would for a rock song.

The fiddle was the most work of any of the strings. For the intro solo and the outro solo I brought in those elements so they weren't panned as hard right as I have them for most of the song. I also put a Fairchild on them as well as adding some mids in the eq.

The electric guitar solo was cut from the rest of the track and put in the middle of the mix with some additional mids on the eq to help it stand out a little more.

Fun track.

I hope you enjoy the mix.

.mp3    Milk Cow Blues.mp3 --  (Download: 7.96 MB)