Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobby Nobody - Stitch Up
hi guys! my first time to post. please feel free to give any comments/suggestions. TIA Big Grin

.mp3    Stitch Up.mp3 --  (Download: 8.25 MB)

This is one of the most difficult songs to mix I've ever experienced. I'm currently working on my 3rd effort, after more than a year away from it. lol

Your mix has some very solid elements, but some things that just aren't hitting it. (You are not alone, believe me!)

First of all, the reverb on the whole, for the vocals is too large, and too much. (The too large = imho; The too much = probably need it more subtle.)

Your guitars sound really solid, and we both know they weren't an easy task to blend. You did a great job on them. The only exception would be the intro guitar "ditty," to which I'd add some reverb or delay.

Finally, your drums are pretty solid, but they seem to almost change up as they go along. Sound punchy and snappy, then sorta disappear slightly, then get thin, then get fat. I don't think this is a big thing, but knowing the difficulty of bringing it all out on this one, I assume you were making adjustments on the fly with the drums, and I'm thinking maybe that wasn't necessary.

I don't think the mix is, on the whole, over compressed, but there are moments where I hear a smash.

Overall riff, this is a solid mix. As I said at the outset, this song was really hard to mix, and remains so. The most consistent problem I've heard (even in my own efforts) is people forgetting the cardinal rule of mixing, which is that the average listener can only focus on two things at one time. This song begs for us to find a way to give the listener more, but doing so does come at a price!

Good job. Hope some of that was good feedback for ya'!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(05-11-2015, 02:01 AM)grizwalter Wrote: This is one of the most difficult songs to mix I've ever experienced. I'm currently working on my 3rd effort, after more than a year away from it. lol

Your mix has some very solid elements, but some things that just aren't hitting it. (You are not alone, believe me!)

First of all, the reverb on the whole, for the vocals is too large, and too much. (The too large = imho; The too much = probably need it more subtle.)

Your guitars sound really solid, and we both know they weren't an easy task to blend. You did a great job on them. The only exception would be the intro guitar "ditty," to which I'd add some reverb or delay.

Finally, your drums are pretty solid, but they seem to almost change up as they go along. Sound punchy and snappy, then sorta disappear slightly, then get thin, then get fat. I don't think this is a big thing, but knowing the difficulty of bringing it all out on this one, I assume you were making adjustments on the fly with the drums, and I'm thinking maybe that wasn't necessary.

I don't think the mix is, on the whole, over compressed, but there are moments where I hear a smash.

Overall riff, this is a solid mix. As I said at the outset, this song was really hard to mix, and remains so. The most consistent problem I've heard (even in my own efforts) is people forgetting the cardinal rule of mixing, which is that the average listener can only focus on two things at one time. This song begs for us to find a way to give the listener more, but doing so does come at a price!

Good job. Hope some of that was good feedback for ya'!

thanks so much sir joe for listening to my mix and giving some advice. i trully appreciate it. you're definitely correct
to the issues that you pointed out on my mix specially on drums and vocals etc. it became more clearer thanks to your
feedback. i will try to mix this again and apply your input once my monitor got replaced. thanks again sir. Smile