Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Noise: 'You Are The One'
Kept this one pretty simple with a low plugin count. Used subtractive eq through out trying not to emphasize the high end noise and did some phase adjustments for the drum tracks. Not sure when these tracks were rescued from their analogue format, although they still sound great, do appear to have lost a little sparkle. Used some period correct tracks from America for a tonal reference and GFR for a little bit of ruff. Really struggling to dedicate a lot time for my music at the moment which may be reflected in the mix (for better or worse). Anyway found this to be a great recording and performance and an enjoyable song to mix and listen to.
Dave.

Second Attempt. Still unhappy with the piano, have raised it a small amount but just can't make it sit right, so it's still a little buried and distant, may be it's just a guitarist thing. Also placed the congas back a bit as well as some slight tinkering and knob turning throughout the mix. I can't help myself.

.mp3    You Are The One Dangerous Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 15.81 MB)

.mp3    You Are The One 2 Dangerous Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 15.78 MB)

I wish we had more tracks from this bunch. Really great tunes for us classic rock aficianados (that's a fancy way of saying "insufferable snobs" Wink ) back from when music was about the music. It really is a neat little tune, especially if you're a guitar player looking for a way to spend an afternoon. One of my favorites on this site.

Watch out for buildup in the low mids. Ref ~4:05 for example. Though it wouldn't have been my choice, for the more "classic mix" vibe, I like leaving the guitar panned over to one side. I think, though, that there's an instrument or two in there that didn't come through properly because of the way this was structured.

Nice mix. Hope you get your schedule sorted!
Old West Audio
Lovely version of this great song Dave , Just some ideas while Enjoying listening to your mix ,the piano is a touch too soft , i have to bring up in my mix also as well as the bongo's with maybe but with a touch less bottom end or with a touch of reverb to soften into the back of stage a touch .
Well done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-11-2015, 03:47 AM)azwayne Wrote: I wish we had more tracks from this bunch. Really great tunes for us classic rock aficianados (that's a fancy way of saying "insufferable snobs" Wink ) back from when music was about the music. It really is a neat little tune, especially if you're a guitar player looking for a way to spend an afternoon. One of my favorites on this site.

Watch out for buildup in the low mids. Ref ~4:05 for example. Though it wouldn't have been my choice, for the more "classic mix" vibe, I like leaving the guitar panned over to one side. I think, though, that there's an instrument or two in there that didn't come through properly because of the way this was structured.

Nice mix. Hope you get your schedule sorted!

It sure would be great to hear some more tunes from these guys. Being a guitarist myself I'm hearing where you are coming from. I did cut a lot of low mids from the tracks but may be the bass track is still a bit heavy. Thanks for listening. Really appreciate the feedback.
(04-11-2015, 09:22 AM)thedon Wrote: Lovely version of this great song Dave , Just some ideas while Enjoying listening to your mix ,the piano is a touch too soft , i have to bring up in my mix also as well as the bongo's with maybe but with a touch less bottom end or with a touch of reverb to soften into the back of stage a touch .
Well done Big Grin
Thanks Don,
Your right the piano is too soft, just not sure how to process it. It seems to sound quite percussive and tends to be distractive and out of place when I turn it up. I will have to experiment, may be I'll try rolling of some top end. Thanks for pointing out the bongo's, complete oversight, I was too preoccupied making them present in the mix, but now that you've pointed it out they annoy the hell out of me. Will try one way or another to place them back somewhat.
Hey Dangerous, maybe try running a transient controller on the piano? Kill some of those percussive hits. I'm not a huge fan of the eq on the acoustic, but I wasn't a fan of the tone from the source. Really nice mix though.

Draper
Thanks Draper,

I have so much to learn about mixing piano! I always seem to struggle and fall short of getting them to sit where I want within a mix. Perseverance I guess.