Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold on You
Tweaking the alignment of the drum tracks made a big difference in sound.

I didn't try the "long fade" (I like the way the song ends), but I may give it a try.

2015-11-07:
I've uploaded an updated mix that takes into account the feedback I've received plus some other things I wanted to change.

I remixed the vocals, I dropped the bass by about 2dB, and I used a low shelf on the master bus to reduce the entire bottom end a little.

I also decided to fix some spots where the drums were particularly weak.

.mp3    Hold on You (2015-10-31).mp3 --  (Download: 7.85 MB)

.mp3    Hold on You (2015-11-06).mp3 --  (Download: 7.83 MB)

Nice mix. Btw, how did you get any good out of close snare mic track ? I hear it in your mix, but snare drum sounds good. In my mix I used, for the most time, OH mics for snare drum sound.
(31-10-2015, 07:31 PM)Obelix Wrote: Nice mix. Btw, how did you get any good out of close snare mic track ? I hear it in your mix, but snare drum sounds good. In my mix I used, for the most time, OH mics for snare drum sound.

Thank you, Obelix.

I've delayed the snare track by 2.4ms. That clears up the phase issue it was having with the OH track. I used MAutoAlign to get that 2.4ms value.
Hey, really nice mix! It's got a really natural and relaxed quality, which fits the song really nicely. The vocals are sitting really nicely, and I'm really impressed with the snare sound you got given the technical issues.

To me the bass is maybe a little loud? Also, maybe it's the delay/verb on the lead vocals, but there's some low-frequency stuff happening on them that's jumping out a bit to me. It's also a personal thing, but the room verb on the slide guitar makes it sound like it's in a different space than the rest of the instruments. If that's the effect you're going for, then awesome!
(04-11-2015, 10:45 PM)ridcullylives Wrote: Hey, really nice mix! It's got a really natural and relaxed quality, which fits the song really nicely. The vocals are sitting really nicely, and I'm really impressed with the snare sound you got given the technical issues.

To me the bass is maybe a little loud? Also, maybe it's the delay/verb on the lead vocals, but there's some low-frequency stuff happening on them that's jumping out a bit to me. It's also a personal thing, but the room verb on the slide guitar makes it sound like it's in a different space than the rest of the instruments. If that's the effect you're going for, then awesome!

Thanks, ridcullylives.

Ya. The bass maybe could come down a hair. I put it fairly high to help keep the mix moving. I'll "look" at that again.

I'll check into the vocals, too. I've actually already remixed them because there were a couple of little things that were bothering me. I decided to use no compression this time, opting to use volume automation instead. I'll upload my updated mix after I check the bass levels again.

When I first heard the tracks, the slide guitar really struck me, so I wanted to feature it in the mix. Believe it or not, I was able to get the sound I heard in my head! I added some subtle doubling in places to help the track pop. I also tweaked the levels just a bit in my updated mix.
Hi, folks! I've updated the initial post to include an updated mix.