Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Go Go Go - Olli H
Normally I have many references to refresh my ears, but in this case my only reference for balance (instruments and frequency) was Bonnie Raits ”Right Down The Line”. But I didn’t try to make a studio sound. I wanted to preserve the live feeling. Well, with these multitracks there was no other possibility.

.mp3    gogogo-2015-10-30-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

Awesome job! You definitely managed to keep the live feeling to the song. The drums sound wide, and they're usually pretty hard to mix in live songs. You did a great job with them, the kick is under control and the snare isn't getting my ears tired.

Luved the guitar solo kept kinda to the left. It means you really take care with what ppl usually forget in live mixes - where which member is placed.

Keep up doing awesome mixes. I wish I could mix live songs that well hahahaha
Thanks, I’m glad you mentioned the drums, for I spent about 90% of the mixing time with drums and room mics to find a tolerable compromise. Otherwise this mix was quite quick decisions.
Good work. Nice punch on drums indeed. I think some (hihat or ride?) cymbal transient is pushing quite hard on the 3kish area or something, or it might just be my system or ears.
(01-11-2015, 03:01 AM)kapu Wrote: Good work. Nice punch on drums indeed. I think some (hihat or ride?) cymbal transient is pushing quite hard on the 3kish area or something, or it might just be my system or ears.
I'm sure it's your ears, that hear correctly the problem. Now that you mentioned it, I think I can hear it too now. Thanks
great job with the drums, Olli! In this mix it's the hardest part indeed. No wonder it took a 90% of your mix, because that happened to me too.
mixing since April 2013
I Like your Mix Olli ,can hear some distortion ,maybe from the the snare track ?
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks all,

If there's audible distortion, yes, it probably comes from the snare. I was desperate and I remember trying all possible tricks to that dull and dead track, and one of them was distortion etc.
Nice Mix!! I think one of the best out here but maybe the kick and toms are too loud. Or is just my monitors but it sounds like they are a bit out of the mix. Good job! Smile
Thanks, you're maybe right about kick level.