Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkuaz - "Tip Toe Through The Crypto"_new_try
New try after a break.
Unfortunately overheads and hi-hat sounds like a white noise. Might need some reverb on a hi-hat to make it sound a bit more distant in the mix, only thing is it's hard to get good reverb sound on high frequencies.

.mp3    turkaz15master_rend_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.95 MB)

Hey sysrq.

Your mix is incredibly clean; I think too much so. It seems as if everything is overly carved out in its own spectrum space; almost makes me think if you did nothing different except for roll back some dBs on all eq settings for each track you'd have a nailed down mix. As it is, there is a "thin," or non-cohesive, feel to it.

With that said, I love the space the mix is in, and the vocal effect is very appropriate for the style!

Great job getting the parts fit in and a solid spatial feel. If you decide to adjust it on another go, think about letting the spectrum blend together a bit more.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(31-10-2015, 08:08 PM)grizwalter Wrote: Hey sysrq.

Your mix is incredibly clean; I think too much so. It seems as if everything is overly carved out in its own spectrum space; almost makes me think if you did nothing different except for roll back some dBs on all eq settings for each track you'd have a nailed down mix. As it is, there is a "thin," or non-cohesive, feel to it.

With that said, I love the space the mix is in, and the vocal effect is very appropriate for the style!

Great job getting the parts fit in and a solid spatial feel. If you decide to adjust it on another go, think about letting the spectrum blend together a bit more.

Thank you for your constructive answer.

True, I had to put some high-pass filters with a shallow slope on midrange instruments to make them sit well with spanky sounding bass (thin bass and kick drum compensated with some lows down to 20Hz and sharp peak on 50Hz) and to free up some space for fairly power-full vocal with too different re-verbs at the same time.

Reduced sample rate on keys (panned hard right) to make them sound more interesting and sit better in the mix (original key track panned 70% left).

Whole song mixed on quite levels as possible (couldn't normalize master bus on 0dB, left some short peaks in dynamic range).

Whole mix may not sound good on all speakers or headphones.
On bigger headphones and speakers it may sound fuller and more blended together. The aim was to make it sound neutral on small or average speakers (some frequencies on 400Hz and 850Hz may result in nasty resonances when listening on small and cheap plastic speakers).

Your mix indeed sounds nice on quite low listening level, but on my general mixing level your mix starts to cause ear fatique fairly quickly. Propably due to relatively great amount of high frequency transients in comparison to lower frequencies. I think you may have carved out too much of the low mid frequencies? Also, on my metering your kick shows largest peak at 25 hz, which might be a bit too low, or an error on the meter. Otherwise clear overall sound with the mixing choices made with good taste. ^_^
Hey sysrq. getting back at ya' after your response.

I have large NFMs. I use KRK Rokit 8s, with 8" woofers, and have a bunch of sidebar monitoring "trashy" sounding monitors, but that isn't relevant in this. haha

My original thoughts stand: Your mix could be much fuller, while at the same time, I believe it could not be more clean. This is the balance you need to blend, as it were, imho. Clean enough, but powerful enough at the same time.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Hi sysrq
your mix does sound clean and balanced ,However i can here a distracting resonance on the electric in the in the intro and through out the song.
I like how the mid bass doesn't sound cluttered but I agree your mix could be fuller in the mid low frequencies ,my room isn't anyway near perfect ,listening with the sub on and headphones Bose and Hd600's give the same result especially the deep rumble of the kick and maybe the bass could be rolled off to give your mix more headroom.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(01-11-2015, 02:51 AM)kapu Wrote: Your mix indeed sounds nice on quite low listening level, but on my general mixing level your mix starts to cause ear fatique fairly quickly. Propably due to relatively great amount of high frequency transients in comparison to lower frequencies. I think you may have carved out too much of the low mid frequencies? Also, on my metering your kick shows largest peak at 25 hz, which might be a bit too low, or an error on the meter. Otherwise clear overall sound with the mixing choices made with good taste. ^_^

Yeah it may be too low cause most of us are used to portet speakers tuned on around 100Hz to make them more "impressive". Naturally if you listen to live kick drum from a distance you can hear a lot of frequencies around 20Hz. The hardest thing is to make it sound deep while it's kept around higher fundamental frequency as possible to save the headroom if you want to make your mix sound loud.

(01-11-2015, 08:10 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi sysrq
your mix does sound clean and balanced ,However i can here a distracting resonance on the electric in the in the intro and through out the song.
I like how the mid bass doesn't sound cluttered but I agree your mix could be fuller in the mid low frequencies ,my room isn't anyway near perfect ,listening with the sub on and headphones Bose and Hd600's give the same result especially the deep rumble of the kick and maybe the bass could be rolled off to give your mix more headroom.

Cheers Big Grin

The distracting resonance might be due to reduced sample rate effect on keys in right channel (might sound too loud or too close at times).

Thanks for input.
(01-11-2015, 08:10 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi sysrq

Cheers Big Grin

If you have a high quality sub with sealed enclosure and flat frequency response adjusted according to monitors then there shouldn't be any excessive rumble, just a full sound.