Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Widow
(08-11-2015, 07:33 PM)toraabe Wrote: What I did was first to make the elements sound a bit betterh than they did, because both vocal and drums lacked brightness what I normally like. Dark mixed drums soften sounds foggy without clarity. Remember that the raw material here is not the best, but ok.

The bass modulation consists both of chorus and flanger. I did it mostly because I wanted just to see how it worked out, and to make a discussion about it.
regarding low mid 3-600 this is an area that I normally am very careful about and when this is too high, the expression often gets this box sound in which I hate. The Vocal could be a dB louder. The final mix just ran through a multiband compressor with the thresold settings so it barely hits. Ratio 2:1.

Normally I am doing Live sound since 17 years, so this was just a quick mix.
Gated reverb on all vocal, and Drums + some elements. + other elements

Prefered live console. Yamaha Ls9 og Yamaha digital consoles in general.

thanks for the reply.

i've since mixed it. actually, your mix was the first time i heard the song and you got me interested! i better understand some of the issues confronting us now. i found it an interesting project, but i must say i had difficulty engaging with it musically, irrespective of what i did with it. i can see why you were experimenting with the bass....it's tempting to make a feature of it, that's for sure. i kept it clean though, preferring instead to mess around with the other materials to get some interest. i will dig it out if i remember, and post it for a laugh.

anyway, keep up the good work! off to see Motorhead soon, with Girl School and Saxon supporting. thinking about taking some industrial strength concrete to plug my ears up to protect them from the longgggg exposure! hope you're taking care of your ears too!!

laters,,
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(19-11-2015, 11:59 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(08-11-2015, 07:33 PM)toraabe Wrote: What I did was first to make the elements sound a bit betterh than they did, because both vocal and drums lacked brightness what I normally like. Dark mixed drums soften sounds foggy without clarity. Remember that the raw material here is not the best, but ok.

The bass modulation consists both of chorus and flanger. I did it mostly because I wanted just to see how it worked out, and to make a discussion about it.
regarding low mid 3-600 this is an area that I normally am very careful about and when this is too high, the expression often gets this box sound in which I hate. The Vocal could be a dB louder. The final mix just ran through a multiband compressor with the thresold settings so it barely hits. Ratio 2:1.

Normally I am doing Live sound since 17 years, so this was just a quick mix.
Gated reverb on all vocal, and Drums + some elements. + other elements

Prefered live console. Yamaha Ls9 og Yamaha digital consoles in general.

thanks for the reply.

i've since mixed it. actually, your mix was the first time i heard the song and you got me interested! i better understand some of the issues confronting us now. i found it an interesting project, but i must say i had difficulty engaging with it musically, irrespective of what i did with it. i can see why you were experimenting with the bass....it's tempting to make a feature of it, that's for sure. i kept it clean though, preferring instead to mess around with the other materials to get some interest. i will dig it out if i remember, and post it for a laugh.

anyway, keep up the good work! off to see Motorhead soon, with Girl School and Saxon supporting. thinking about taking some industrial strength concrete to plug my ears up to protect them from the longgggg exposure! hope you're taking care of your ears too!!

laters,,

When I am at loud concerts or playing drums I always Custom Molded Ear Plugs.

Smile