Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My go at 'Ill Fate'
Hi there,

This is my go at Ill Fate. A bit rough, but quite ok.

Done completely on Linux in Ardour with Open Source and free plugins (with 2 exceptions).

Also my first go on reamping the DI's on Linux (with the LePou plugins, the TSE 808 Tube Screamer and the LeCab with GuitarHacks impulses).

This was fun!

Feedback and comments are welcome!

lg,
Michael

.mp3    Ill Fate Mastering_r1_session_2015-10-22.mp3 --  (Download: 4.88 MB)

I really dig those vocals, what did you do?

There is some quite heavy processing on the vocals. First they are very slightly panned off center then on each of them there are:

- EQ: high pass, low mid cut, slight high boost and slight 1000 Hz boost.
- Fast compression with the neutral Calf compressor with only 1:1.9 ratio to even the levels a bit
- Compression and a bit coloration with the FC70 compressor from OvertoneDSP (Fairchild 670 emulation)
- Quite heavy tape saturation with the Calf Saturator (nearly all the way up)

On the vocal bus then:

- EQ with a little ditch at 850 (don't remember why, I think the vocals got in the way with an instrument)
- Another FC70 compressor with a slighty higher setting than the individual vocals to glue the two tracks together
- The free SlickEQ plugin (very sweet!) which has some internal EQ saturation and output saturation, but very very mellow. A slight boost at 2400 Hz and 9.1 kHz (2.1 and 2.7 dB) on the British setting and the "mellow" output stage. It adds some really nice colors and I use it nearly every time in mastering
- Two Calf Vintage Delays, one on 16th notes, one on 32nd notes with different offsets left and right. They are only slightly mixed in to give more ambience
- Calf Stereo Tools for stereo widening
- Just a bit of Calf Reverb

That's it.

Hope that helps,
Michael