Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Too Much
This was a fun track to mix because of some of the minor challenges.

The first thing was getting the kick gated and then using a high shelf around 1k and 11.4db to duck out as much of the band as possible. I used a high pass filter on the snare and overheads to get rid of everything below 150hz. I also widened the overheads a bit. Then I bussed them to the drum bus and used a little more EQ to sweeten the top end as well as a little compression to bring it all together.

The bass was thin so I applied 8db at 16hz to add beef and then I used Nova76p on the bass di setting to add a little dirt to the tone of the bass as well as contour the sound. After that I used a Fairchild VST to add some more bass compression.

The guitar is panned hard right and just has a bit of EQ to duck out the low frequencies.

On the piano, I used a little bit of room verb and a hall envelope verb to give a sense of width. I then used the Fairchild again to add some more width and a little compression to even out the dynamics.

The room had some nice depth to it but I added a large hall reverb to it so I could mix it in with the horns and drums to get presence that I wanted across the mix.

The saxes and trumpets were bussed to a saxes channel and trumpet channel to go along with the supplied trombone channel. I applied EQ across each sub. I felt like the balance of the individual sections was pretty good. I then balanced each of the subs for an overall balance of the horns and bussed them again to a horns channel.

On the horns channel I applied a small amount of compression to add some height and depth to the horns. The saxes are panned 60 percent left, the trumpets are 60 percent right, and the trombones are in the middle.

I copied the trombone solo to an additional track to get a little more volume out of it and applied a dry room reverb to it to play against the existing trombone track. It provided a subtle change for the solo. I also ducked the second half of the solo on the added track as it wasn't musically interesting and I felt it needed to be a bit less forward than the early part of the solo.

On the lead vocal I opted to again duck out any low frequencies with a high pass filter at 150hz and then I added some plate reverb and some gentle compression. I mixed the vocal to ride over the rest of the mix.

The master bus has a little bit of compression to bring everything together.

.mp3    SelwynJazz_MuchTooMuch.mp3 --  (Download: 10.11 MB)