Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold On You
I'm really new to mixing.
This is my first upload ever.
Definately addicted to this stuff.
Happy to have a forrum like this to learn from.
I'm really struggling with a bunch of things, one of them is mixing drums from live recordings (I normally use a e-kit and superior drummer).
So this was the first run at mixing accoustic drums.

.mp3    Hold On You.mp3 --  (Download: 3.91 MB)

(20-10-2015, 07:40 AM)MixManStan Wrote: I'm really new to mixing.
I'm really struggling with a bunch of things, one of them is mixing drums from live recordings (I normally use a e-kit and superior drummer).

Really like the tightness of this mix. I think the if you reduce the amount of reverb in the mix or use delays instead you might end up getting a far tighter mix. Did you have anything on the master buss while mixing this?
(20-10-2015, 09:10 AM)adichim Wrote:

Really like the tightness of this mix. I think the if you reduce the amount of reverb in the mix or use delays instead you might end up getting a far tighter mix. Did you have anything on the master buss while mixing this?

I start the mix with the master chain off, then once it can stand on it's own weight in mono, I bring it on, hopefully that helps to hear if there is too much compression or reverb before mastering. I'll flip it on and off and recheck things in mono while I'm adding pluggins and tweaks.

It blows my mind every time I think I have a handle on things like the kick drum punching through then I listen to the mix and it's still not there. I was doing not too bad with superior drummer, but this is a whole new can of worms.

This is my master chain:
Waves SSL Comp, UAD Ampex ATR-102, UAD Fairchild 670, UAD Oxford Inflator, ProAudioDSP Dynamic Spectrum Mapper, Ozone 6, Waves L2

Hey man, one thing I'm noticing is that the drum kit seems almost absent from the mix--especially the cymbals. Were you using much/any of the overheads? One way I like to think about it is that the overheads and/or room mic give you the sound of the drum kit, and the close snare/kick mics let you punch those up a bit since they're two key elements to the track.