Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
THANK YOU! - Official Release Mix: Opinions, Q&A, critics, additional information!
(25-10-2015, 02:58 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: Till, do you suffer from hearing impairment? i'm being serious. i have no idea how anyone can listen to this mix without suffering major fatigue; the amount of compression applied here is absolutely ridiculous. most musicians have impaired hearing, indeed, many kids these days are also showing significant signs of damage due to changes in listening habits; ear buds and prolonged exposures above safe thresholds are partly to blame - it's becoming a global governmental concern. these might be your target audience, perhaps; without their DAC's and speakers distorting to hell they can't embrace the music because they probably can't hear it unless it's doing so.

if your mix was loudness-matched against a dynamic mix that complied with iTunes dynamic specifications (i.e. their playback leveller which penalises loud songs) and global loudness legislation for example, it would, and does........suck. it's totally lifeless and lacks any energy whatsoever. clearly you are yet to be convinced the loudness war is over because you are waving a middle finger to dynamics with much gusto? however they do say that "Loud is perceived better", only it's been proven that it isn't. but it does impress the noobs and i can't help wondering if you are exploiting that [intentionally, or otherwise]?

anyway, i recommend you get your hearing checked. because if it is failing from poor attention to health and safety, you need to act fast to stop it declining any further. hearing aids aren't cool, eh?

on another matter, Mike states in the MDL's page introduction, that:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All these files are presented......without any effects or processing."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's clearly NOT the case with your multi-track. it's been tampered with subsequent to the recordings...you've EQ'd, compressed and automated. the vocal has also been pitch corrected.

if i'm going to mix something, i want to apply my own parameters without having them, and their artifacts(!) forced upon me, and i'd suggest that people here in the forum, would also benefit from not having to negotiate material that's been tampered with. for example, automation is going to mess up someone's Insert chain, and thereafter through to the stereo buss, pretty substantially. if they don't yet understand what they are being confronted with in the supplied materials, they will never stand a hope in learning anything. they believe they are mixing "The Recordings", without processing - Mike has told them so.

if the kid can't pitch and you don't want the world to know, i could understand processing it before releasing it in the Public Domain (but poor pitching skills will show up at gigs anyway). personally, i think it would provide excellent opportunity in the forum for people to have a go at doing "transparent" pitch correction, for example. and if low cuts and high cuts or shelving filters need to be applied, that they learn by having a go at doing this themselves. the same goes for compression...and automation.

i don't wish to sound confrontational, but i have concerns. your fundamental concern appears to be marketing and promotion for the band (hence the loudness - to impress perhaps)? my concern is for my on-going personal development and helping the development of others as best i can, in a sharing community. i believe that what you are doing is hindering the development process, not only in this mix, but in your multi-track. when i read comments like "nice mix", or "this is a very good, solid, pleasant, and effective mix", then i think my concerns are well founded. noobs are going to read those comments and think that what they are hearing IS good and will no doubt try and replicate it. that's not a healthy learning environment, in any language.

i challenge you to put this song out WITH dynamics intact. aim for -14LUFS, a True Peak of -1 and an approximate +5 LRA (simply turning it down is not enough, though for those who do turn this mix down to loudness match it against =14 LUFS, say, they will immediately discover where my claims of dullness came from). i bet my pension that you can't rise to the challenge. indeed, i challenge EVERYONE to have a go at this. in attempting to, you should soon discover the issues present in the multi which nobody has discussed yet.

anyway, please at least think about the issues i raise, that's all i ask. without thought, there cannot be a potential for progress......

Cheers,,
Dave

The producer has the creative right to make arrangements and pre-mix adjustments to a song before the final mixing stage. The state of the multi-tracks are a result of an active producer being involved and in my opinion with my time with it, didn't have any issues about the quality of the material.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
This is an interesting track, given that it's rather different from the other offering we had. That makes it a challenge to get it to sound like they fit together. Good practice, that and I'll take a moment to say, as well, that this is actually sounding like a pretty good band. There's clearly talent there and, more importantly, a certain instinct on how to build a good rock song. I think there could be a little more variation, verse to verse, to help move it along but they did not forget that aspect, I just think it needs a little more help, orchestration wise. You can also hear that the band has improved between this ep and the previous one. They're worth investing time in.

As to "promote the band" on the forum, if they're willing to offer us freely a portion of their wares, I don't see that a certain amount of promotion isn't in order as long as it is confined to the appropriate threads. Besides, I like discovering new music and there's been more than one group around here that I've wanted to find more stuff from only to find that they've gone the way of most young bands... Disappointing, that.

Only critiques I would have of the mix in your initial post is that the picked guitar up front sounds a little tinny and when the guitars come in hard, you can hear the compressor hitting pretty hard so different attack timer is called for. Otherwise, it's a metal mix, alright.
Old West Audio
(11-01-2016, 03:57 AM)azwayne Wrote: Only critiques I would have of the mix in your initial post is that the picked guitar up front sounds a little tinny and when the guitars come in hard, you can hear the compressor hitting pretty hard so different attack timer is called for. Otherwise, it's a metal mix, alright.

Thanks azwayne! Compressors are my weak point, got me on that one. I try working with presets and adjusting them to match the needs of the track but it's hard for me to set up a compressor from scratch. I'm working on that Smile
And yeah, it's a metal mix. I've been into metal when I started mixing back in 200X. I like dense mixes and the defined style of metal productions so I try to stick with that.
I've seen some punky/grungy mixes in here and they're awesome! That's how a mixer's creativity influences the outcome and it's important to have the character of the mixing guy in the mix.
Hi guys and gals,

I have good and bad news.

First of all, the latest release got the Forkupines signed on Midsummer Records which is a growing and promising German rock and metal label. So, yay! Cool

Unfortunately that means that none of the tracks on the upcoming album will be available for your use since it's now officially protected material. I'm sorry. Same applies for new material anytime soon.

Still, in the name of the Forkupines I want to thank you for your massive support on this page, countless mixes and Facebook likes and, most of all, feedback on my own mixes.
You guys contributed a lot to make a small band become a young star of the modern German music scene. THANKS, YOU ARE AWESOME!

For my part, I started working in the recording studio the Forkupines did the drums of Yet The Same in. I don't know if I'll ever be working with the Forkupines again anytime soon but it's not impossible. Just that I'm moving on and working with lots of other bands now, too. With some luck I can convince my boss to share some of his state-of-the-art material. I'll certainly try and I'll keep you updated on that.

Well, that's it for now. So... so long and thanks for all the fish!
Enjoy the first released song from the Forkupines' new album "Here, away from" which will be fully released on CD and Vinyl here on september 29th.

Till - Wurstdrummer - former producer of the Forkupines, drummer of LEAD Inc. and sound engineering assistant at Tiny Pond Studios.

wurstdrummer,

i have to say that these stems are the best i've downloaded so far from this site. It was really enjoyable to mix this project. Had a lot of fun with it. Crisp clean records!

Beste Grüße!
Working with Propellerhead Reason 9.5 only.