Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tip Top to the Tippy Toes!
You've got to love a band and engineer playing/working live in studio together and making it happen!

Nice little ditty!

.mp3    Turkuaz -- Tip Toe Through the Crypto Master(1).mp3 --  (Download: 9.39 MB)

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Love your punchy version of this great song Joe ,as a personal preference the lead vocals could come up db or 2 .
Nice mix Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(23-10-2015, 12:04 PM)thedon Wrote: Love your punchy version of this great song Joe ,as a personal preference the lead vocals could come up db or 2 .
Nice mix Big Grin

You know, having received your feedback, I decided to take another listen. Frankly, the whole mix sounds thin to me now. Damn you for posting! hahaha

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(23-10-2015, 05:09 PM)grizwalter Wrote:
(23-10-2015, 12:04 PM)thedon Wrote: Love your punchy version of this great song Joe ,as a personal preference the lead vocals could come up db or 2 .
Nice mix Big Grin

You know, having received your feedback, I decided to take another listen. Frankly, the whole mix sounds thin to me now. Damn you for posting! hahaha

I think it doesn't sound too thin, it's just the bass which is way over -21dB at 100Hz. Every frequency affects whole range. Now it may sound like from a small untreated cube shaped room but it's accurate enough to be considered as professional.
Apart from bass vocals and instruments has commercial feel to them.
(31-10-2015, 10:47 AM)sysrq Wrote:
Nice mix Big Grin

I think it doesn't sound too thin, it's just the bass which is way over -21dB at 100Hz. Every frequency affects whole range. Now it may sound like a from small untreated cube shaped room but it's accurate enough to be considered as professional.

Interesting. Ok, I do very much appreciate the thorough feedback! Thanks!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(31-10-2015, 08:01 PM)grizwalter Wrote:
(31-10-2015, 10:47 AM)sysrq Wrote:
Nice mix Big Grin

I think it doesn't sound too thin, it's just the bass which is way over -21dB at 100Hz. Every frequency affects whole range. Now it may sound like a from small untreated cube shaped room but it's accurate enough to be considered as professional.

Interesting. Ok, I do very much appreciate the thorough feedback! Thanks!

Thanks. It may give impression of small acoustically untreated cube shaped room (a lot of standing waves in the range from 80Hz to 200Hz).
Might need to check the monitors with calibrated measurement microphone and spectrum analyser software for any unexpected dips or peaks.

I think it doesn't really matter if it benefits the track.

Apart from bass vocals and instruments has commercial feel to them.
(01-11-2015, 12:59 AM)sysrq Wrote: Thanks. It may give impression of small acoustically untreated cube shaped room (a lot of standing waves in the range from 80Hz to 200Hz).
Might need to check the monitors with calibrated measurement microphone and spectrum analyser software for any unexpected dips or peaks.

standing waves occur in all rooms of all shapes and sizes....but if he's in a small room, low ceiling, he's pretty much stuffed! ported monitors and big woofers are a hazard in small spaces - everyone likes to hear bass when they mix, lol. the smaller the room, the closer together the standing waves. finding the best seating position for his room is critical, along with monitors which are best suited to the size of the room and their location within it...not the frequency response at his "current" seated location; for every placement of the measurement mic (even just a few inches!!!), there will be a totally different frequency response across the spectrum...... then what?

the mix is thin because the mids are hyped and the low-mid range hasn't been managed effectively, owing no doubt to the over abundance of bass giving him the impression they are present. but i do agree the problem is most likely that he's EQ'ing the room rather than the mix; up to 80 percent of what we hear is influenced by the way the monitors interact within their environment, if not seated in a RFZ. it's rather ironic when you think that people often seek out monitors with a flat response....the trouble is, that flatness goes haywire as soon as the box is put in a real life situation! lol.

bass can't be controlled/treated in a small room, there isn't the space; irrespective of whether it's square or rectangular. it's best under these conditions, not to have bass present in the first place and to educate the ears/brain on how much fundamental is present based on the second and third harmonics. but without better knowing Gritz's prevailing conditions, we can only guess at possible solutions.

i will hasten to add, that a problematic room/monitor combination is not only going to affect the decisions made while dialling in parameters, but also on casting judgement on other's mixes if they are auditioned under the same conditions. it will make feedback somewhat more "subjective", while hampering development of critical listening skills necessary for "objective" assessments.

Quote:Apart from bass, vocals and instruments has commercial feel to them.

how can you say that if the frequency response is skewed from missing key low-mid elements and an over-abundance of mids (2kHz, plus or minus about an octave)?
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
I might have lost track on this convo a bit, 'cause there is so much input, but I can say this:

I have fantastic monitors in a very cool space. Most importantly, however, I listen at a very low level relatively speaking (in the neighborhood of 75 to 85 dSPL.

While my room is small, I'm not understanding the issue as it revolves around my mix. In my mind, knowing one's speakers, reference material, and knowing the room outweigh the rest.

As much as I'd love to blame a mix on a room error, that would not be an excuse I'd be comfortable using. If the mix isn't right, my room certainly is not to blame!
~
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(01-11-2015, 02:59 AM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 12:59 AM)sysrq Wrote: Thanks. It may give impression of small acoustically untreated cube shaped room (a lot of standing waves in the range from 80Hz to 200Hz).

standing waves occur in all rooms of all shapes and sizes....but if he's in a small room, low ceiling, he's pretty much stuffed! ported monitors and big woofers are a hazard in small spaces - everyone likes to hear bass when they mix, lol. the smaller the room, the closer together the standing waves. finding the best seating position for his room is critical, along with monitors which are best suited to the size of the room and their location within it...not the frequency response at his "current" seated location; for every placement of the measurement mic (even just a few inches!!!), there will be a totally different frequency response across the spectrum...... then what?

the mix is thin because the mids are hyped and the low-mid range hasn't been managed effectively, owing no doubt to the over abundance of bass giving him the impression they are present. but i do agree the problem is most likely that he's EQ'ing the room rather than the mix; up to 80 percent of what we hear is influenced by the way the monitors interact within their environment, if not seated in a RFZ. it's rather ironic when you think that people often seek out monitors with a flat response....the trouble is, that flatness goes haywire as soon as the box is put in a real life situation! lol.

bass can't be controlled/treated in a small room, there isn't the space; irrespective of whether it's square or rectangular. it's best under these conditions, not to have bass present in the first place and to educate the ears/brain on how much fundamental is present based on the second and third harmonics. but without better knowing Gritz's prevailing conditions, we can only guess at possible solutions.

i will hasten to add, that a problematic room/monitor combination is not only going to affect the decisions made while dialling in parameters, but also on casting judgement on other's mixes if they are auditioned under the same conditions. it will make feedback somewhat more "subjective", while hampering development of critical listening skills necessary for "objective" assessments.

Quote:Apart from bass, vocals and instruments has commercial feel to them.

how can you say that if the frequency response is skewed from missing key low-mid elements and an over-abundance of mids (2kHz, plus or minus about an octave)?

Then Real Sound Lab CONEQ could be handy.
Guys, I really appreciate the abundance of feedback, and would love to know what "Real Sound Lab ConEq" is, but maybe I just didn't get the mix quite right. I mean, these are mixes for paying clients, so sometimes they are a bit more rushed. I really don't think my room is the issue. I have plenty of absorption, my monitors are very solid, I have lame-o speakers for both table radio, laptop, and mono checking, headphones which by no means make the world go 'round, and a room with curved corners to boot (not like that's the biggest deal ever, but just saying). I listen, in this room, graduating up only after I've gotten to the point of adding space, at about 75 dB SPL, maxing out around 90 - 95 dBs.

Whatever is wrong with this mix, it isn't my room, or my speakers. That's all I'm saying. Put the blame on me!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]