Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambitions
Hey,
I mixed and mastered this song.
I let the bass pass really through. (I even used an extra overdistorted bass track to mix with the other two!)
That's why I ask someone of you other great (Not that I consider myself great. Smile ) mixers out there to comment.
When I wacthed my spectrum analyzer I could see the bass popping a little out but that was my intention, I really love the bass, I didn't even edited or automated it while some say this is not the best I like it! (I always need to do different. Rolleyes )

PANNING
Hi-hat: center, kick drum: 16L, overhead left: 100L, overhead right: 100R, ride: center, snare bottom and top: 16R, first two toms: center, 3th:29L and 4th:29R, drum room: center, all bass tracks: center, guitar1: 49L, guitar2: 100L, guitar3: 49R, guitar4: 100R and both two vocal tracks: 16L

MIXING
I routed all the drum tracks to one buss. (Here I need some beginner help, when I route tracks to another track they still play on their own but how do you make sure that when you route them they only go to that specific buss and not also to the master? I put the master send off tough.)
I also E.Q.-ed all tracks seperatly + the drum buss.
I also tried parallell compression for the first time by duplicating the drum buss (Actually I send the drum buss to that track.) and kind of overcompressing that track so when I mix it slightly in with the drums I still have a pumping drum sound without losing all dynamics. (That is parallell compression I hope.)
I compressed the tom tracks because I wanted them to cut through the mix a little more and I also reverbed them. (That are the only tracks I 'reverbed'.)
The bass tracks I E.Q.-ed and compressed to make them tight and punchy. (The way I kinda like bass.)
E.Q. on the guitars to make their mids shine. Wink
Lots of E.Q., some compression and a slight delay on the vocals. (I didn't try to overdo it this time, in my last mix the delay was to hard I suppose.)
The second vocal track (So ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!) I E.Q.-ed, compressed and I used a chorus effect to create more like a chorus of men rather than one guy screaming (Like the name 'chorus' says. Smile )

MASTERING
E.Q.-ed some sub-bass out and unnecessary high's.
Multi-band compression (three band) to make glew the song a bit and to compress the higher frequency's some more. (In my mix the cymbals and stuff where a little to much over the place, I think.)
A stereo-expander, not to heavely, just to make it a LITTLE wider and clearer and because I somehow love it.
A reverb (!!) and I am not sad I did it.
It's because of the reverb you sometimes here some noise but I kind of like it, it adds something to the song.
It also helps make the vocals in my opinion a little bit clearer.
A limiter to make it louder and prevent from clipping by making it louder, +5,2 gain and the treshold at 0,2 .(Where mixing harder music here, here are dynamics a little less important than like classic music for example.)

Sorry for the long text but I want to tell you my whole mixing/mastering process. Smile

.mp3    AmbitionsMASTER1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.89 MB)

Unfortunately I can't provide any feedback for you at the moment, but I just wanted to say how great it is all the additional information you provide with your mixes -- a real resource! Smile Thanks for making that extra effort. If everyone did this we'd all learn a lot more, I reckon. (Me included!)
Hiya Kjell

I think the way you have described your process to be very enlightening, and something I'm going to try to a bit more of from now on. Thank you for setting the benchmark!

OK, now on with the mix.

Oh, firstly your question regarding sending the drums only to the buss and not the masters, I don't know what software you're using but there will be an output selector button somewhere on the channel strip which currently says L-R, Main outs, 1-2, Master Outs or something similar. You should be able to select another output for the drum elements which includes the buss you're using for the drums. Failing that, hopefully the channel allows you to have 'no output' as an option. Use that and send all the drums to the buss via the aux send as you're currently doing. OR, if this also isn't an option, send all those drums to the drum buss with the aux sends PRE-FADE and turn down the channel fader all the way for those drums. Because you're sending the drums to the buss pre fade, this knob determines the level of the drums in the buss. The channel fader is bypassed. There are 3 ways to skin a cat! Smile

I think you have made a good start, but there's a few things that I feel can be improved on if you feel like taking it further.
There is a *lot* of low end in the mix which is detracting a bit from the rest of the instruments. Its in the guitars, toms and bass and is masking the kick quite a bit. Using a high pass filter on everything that doesn't need it will instantly give some low end clarity to the mix, and then you can work on enhancing the elements that have useful power down that low (floor tom, bass and kick).
If you're using small diameter speakers and boosting the low end to hear it, it might pay to check the mix using a decent set of reference headphones to help you hear what is happening way down low.

From my experience with metal, hard rock, etc there also needs to be more of the kick's impact (the 'click' of the beater) coming through. Once the problems with the low frequencies have been taken care of, it will be much easier to sculpt out a nice kick drum sound.

Technical issues:
There's a bit of noise in some of the tracks that should be cleaned up, especially towards the end of the song. You can fade those tracks out once the actual music stops and it will work a treat!
And there's a burst of white noise every now and again - is that from the reverb effect you mentioned? Is this a 'demo' piece of software? Wink Might pay to purchase it or use a different stock reverb plugin from the host software you use.

Its hard to know how the other elements in the song sit with so many instruments contributing to the murk in the low frequencies, so I'll have to wait until you can fix that primary problem and post another version to the forum - please keep going with this mix Kjell. There's a lot to learn about the art of mixing and, as I'm finding, lots of discoveries made by trial and error.

I hope that this has been some use to you to help you refine the mix, and I look forward to hearing your Version 2!

Kind regards,
Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Thanks for the big respond!
I will remix/master (get rid or at least relisten the reverb) it in a couple of days or even tomorrow. (My exams are finally done. Smile )
And yes it is a plugin that you need to pay for after a while or it's demo, I don't know anymore exactly at this moment.
I actually didn't thought about the noise coming from the fact that it's maybe a demo myself. Big Grin (I just thought that is was the reverb itself.)
I remixed/remastered the song.
I did use high passes on all my tracks but now I used it harder. (I got not only rid of some sub-bass but also some bass and low-midrange in general.)
I also 'reviewed' some of my other E.Q.-'stuff', I changed a bit on the vocals.
There was this region around 850Hz that really 'pointed'-up so on my analyzer that I tried to hide some more. (I already got rid of it a bit on my first mix but now I REALLY lowered that frequency region.)
I even pumped the kick drum pretty hard. (Now it really pumps through the mix.)

For mastering I just shove my high pass a little further and I changed the reverb with an other. (The reason why I wanted to use that other so badly was because it had a low and high pass so you can choose a 'midrange-band' to use the reverb on, so that the bass and the hats and rides don't get messed up in the reverb also. But I found a free reverb that has a similiar option for low, mid and high.

One question: I did put the gain on my limiter some higher this time but now my wave looks 'lifeless', it's that typical 21st century mastered wave-form, but still my dynamic meter shows me that there is over 10dB of dynamic range?
P.S.:I don't know where that short noise in the beginning comes from. (Maybe the reverb again but now not because it's a demo.) Smile

.mp3    AmbitionsMASTER2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.89 MB)

Hi Kjell
Ah yes! The 'oomph' of the kick is much more defined now. Well done! Smile

I'm still finding the bottom end of things to be a little 'wooly' or 'boomy', like there has been a 100Hz shelf boost or something across the mix. Similar to turning up the 'low' dial on a hifi system, if that makes sense. Have you used a bass enhancer or an 80Hz shelf boost or something?
Just had a thought, with the parallel distortion on the bass guitar, did you use a HPF on the distortion channel to remove the low end distortion? That could be contributing to the murk down the bottom of things. You can push the filter right up to around 300-400Hz so you only let through the nice upper frequency 'buzz' that helps the bass cut through the mix without adding too much LF energy in the 'mud range' of the spectrum.

Well done on locating another reverb to use for the effect you're after.
Another way of doing it would be to use your DAW's standard reverb and putting an equaliser either before or after the reverb plugin to create the frequency balance you're looking for (EQ before the reverb to prevent or boost frequencies going into the reverb, or EQ after if you want to let the reverb 'see' all the frequencies as they are sent from the instruments and the EQ then adjusts the balance that comes out of it)

Getting there! It's a tricky thing to balance all these instruments in a mix. Luckily we enjoy the mixing process Smile Smile
Hope the tips in this post can help you out.

Dags
I will relook the bass and other lower end. Smile
I actually didn't change a lot.
I just re-E.Q.-ed the saturated bass and I moved the high passes a bit where it was possible.
I couldn't really change the around 100Hz problem in mixing so I did that in mastering.
When I looked at my master-E.Q. for my other two mixes I noticed that I even boosted that region!
So I cut that but still made sure that the frequency region around 50Hz was still there so that the kick drum still 'kicks'. (Of course a kick drum should kick! Smile )

.mp3    AmbitionsMASTER3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.89 MB)

Hiya!

Just a quick reply from iphone.
Well done - the boominess of the previous two versions has been cleared up and the other elements are much easier to hear now.
Even the vocals have come out of the fog a bit more Smile

Dags

Thanks for all the help! Smile