Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers: Go Go Go kapu mix
Played my own bass track. ^_^

.mp3    nick-bluhm-&-the-gamblers_-_go-go-go_kapu-mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.33 MB)

Hi

Not so much can be done with this track and I think You did what could be achieved. Great with Your bass :-)

/C
(16-10-2015, 11:15 AM)Cassandra Wrote: Hi

Not so much can be done with this track and I think You did what could be achieved. Great with Your bass :-)

/C

Thanks!
Great mix. You have got a really nice bass tone and bass line for this song.
I am interested in snare drum sound. It was one of the hardest snares for me to mix. Your snare sounds great. Tell me how can I get at least a decent snare drum sound for this song. It is a shame that people who recorded this nice performance did not give us samples or at least recorded a nice snare drum to deal with.
Keep up the good work !!
(18-10-2015, 07:47 AM)Obelix Wrote: Great mix. You have got a really nice bass tone and bass line for this song.
I am interested in snare drum sound. It was one of the hardest snares for me to mix. Your snare sounds great. Tell me how can I get at least a decent snare drum sound for this song. It is a shame that people who recorded this nice performance did not give us samples or at least recorded a nice snare drum to deal with.
Keep up the good work !!

Thanks for your feedback. The snare indeed was a tricky one, and it's the one I'm still most unhappy about in my mix. I'm propably going to get crucified or something for this, but to my taste these Telefunken sessions aren't so well recorded. The tracks have way too much "bad" spill in them even for a live session. Or at least this seems to be a paid feature of the M80 from my live engineering experience. I'd prefer 58 or 604. Smile

On the snare track firstly I have inverted the phase. Then there is Logic Pro X Studio FET compressor with 4:1 ratio, 80 ms attack and 160 ms release. Threshold is set so that it gives around 3-5 dBs of reduction. Basically it functions as a transient enhancer. Efter that there's a gate with 1 ms attack, 40 ms hold and 400 ms release. It's not a hard gate but with 18 dB reduction. Finally there's standard channel eq with 3 dB cut with 1,5 Q at 300 hz and 3 dB cut with 0,7 Q at 600 hz. On the drum bus there's slight compression (2:1, 10 ms attack, 60 ms release) with Logic Vintage Opto compressor and HPF at 30 hz.

The bass sound is just from Fender Am. Std. Fretless Jazz bridge pick up straight into RME Fireface UCX DI, basically identical compression and gate as the snare, 3 db low shelf boost at 80 hz and then Logic Pro X Distortion II plugin with Growl setting and distortion amount set to max.
Overall I like the sound and separate instruments as such. Well done

Good idea to replay the bass. (Even I noticed that there were some wrong notes here and there in the original bass.) Well played bass, I like the lines and riffs that your invented. But here and there I feel that it’s a little too busy. It kind of draws attention too much to it when the lady sings.

But overall I feel that some instruments feel very live and spacious and at the same time snare sounds like a dry and close studio snare. If the snare had a little longer tail it might fit better for over all groove. COmbined with the new bass line, I think the overall groove is now a little hasty. Maybe the melody would benefit of a little bit more relaxed band.
a la James Jamerson!
(01-12-2015, 07:10 PM)Aresfin Wrote: a la James Jamerson!

exactly. ^_^