Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
All The Same - Mix by Marcel S.
Hi guys,
here is another mix I have done over the last 2 days.
Feel free to check the other ones out, too Wink

I scrolled through the pages of the mixing additions to find a (potential) powerfull rock-kinda song and I stumbled upon this one...

Man those vocals where dynamic. Really needed all of vst inserts in Cubase to get control over them. In the end I really like them !

Drums sounded nice, didn't felt to be replaced, only a little love, EQed the Kick to get more transients, made the snare really present in the mix and in the end parallel compressed them.

During the verse I kept the song very dynamic (lots of automation) and the chorous was pushed to as loud (but not distorted at the same time) as possible. I like the dynamic that I got between verse and chorous.

What I did in a list:
- Some basic EQs on the stems to clean up (Low/Hi Cuts etc.)
- Basic volume and panorama mixing (lots of automation to keep the song dynamic)
- (Parallel)Compressed the drums
- Added a little room to the vocals to mix them better in, De-Essed them and compressed them pretty hard

All done in Cubase in approx 2-4 hrs (1-2 hrs a day)

I really would like to get some comments from you guys and/or (constructive) criticism.

Regards,
Marcel

.mp3    north_to_alaska_-_all_the_same_final_mix_2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.5 MB)

Hey !

It's nice to have used the 2 main vocals on verses. However I believe some edition would have made them more in place. The breathing are not synced and it's quite disturbing imho.

Drums are powerful ! I didn't like his cymbals (too much hi ends for this song to my taste), so I changed them to something more vintage. I find them here quite harsh. Maybe some deesser could calm them ?

Nice balance, I like your choruses, very powerful !
This actually sound Big, I really think it sounds much better than the majority of the mixes I've checked out so far! But I also think it could use some more bass; I think this song just *needs* tons of bass to give it that nice weight feeling - But maybe that's just me Tongue
I'd also De-Ess the vocals a bit more... But other than those very slight niggles, a truly solid mix, good job! Wink
Your balances are good.. but this is WAY too loud. That's not good.
Yes, too loud.