Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tip Toe Through The Crypto' mix
Hi guys!

So I've just finished mixing this great song, hope you like the result.
When I listened to other mixes I realised that live songs aren't supposed to sound like
live songs anymore, is that right? Big Grin
I guess mine does (sounds more gluey, I used lot of the overheads and room tracks), and I wonder is it good or bad?

Tell me what you think, and enjoy listening! Smile

.mp3    Tip Toe Through The Crypto\'.mp3 --  (Download: 10.78 MB)

Sounds good donio, though too much glue makes the sound song a little bit flat.

I noticed that all the tracks have a lot of hi end. Try cleaning that up a little bit. It makes the mix sound with too much sizzle. Also makes the brass in the chorus less interesting.

Cheers!
Thanks man, good idea. Honestly I tried one more time to mix it, and below is the result. This time I wanted it to be clearer, yet still 'live'. And you know what? I like the first mix better :p

What do you think?

.mp3    Tip Toe Through The Crypto\' 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.98 MB)

I had trouble playing your second mix. Will try to come back later and listen to it for comparative purposes.

Meanwhile, your first mix is pretty good, but I agree with tanks regarding the sizzle; there is a sorta wash of 7K - 12K which is distracting from the balance of the mix.

The kick drum is a little bit muddy and could use a little more upper mid punch, but that's not a big deal on this one really.

As far as the space you're using for the mix, I like it. It doesn't sound too glued together to my ears; it sounds natural, and for this style of music, and given that it was, in fact, recorded live (albeit in studio), it works fine.

Good job overall man.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Thanks man, appreciate that. Hope you'll listen to the second one, though as I said I like the first one better Smile

(19-10-2015, 05:10 PM)donio Wrote: Thanks man, appreciate that. Hope you'll listen to the second one, though as I said I like the first one better Smile

I listened to the second one. Frankly, I think I like it better. The sizzle problem doesn't seem to be prominent, if there at all, and the "space" you used seems less washed out overall.

The only thing I'd change for the most part is to come down on the vocal a dB or 2. It is a bit hot in the mix.

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Hi Donio, the voice is really dominant over the others instruments, it seem that when she sings it crush down the rest. Try to get more balance trough the vocals and the instruments, maybe using some automation. The drums could be a bit more punchy. I like the delay on the vocals but I notice a lot of feedback/repeats on it, maybe try to decrease it. I like the reverb on the brass section, good choice!
Do you mean the second one? If yes, I agree, she's hot there, but I still prefer the first mix, so check it out Smile
Hi Donio! yes I mean the second one, I also cheched the first mix but I think the voice is much prominent too. Personally I prefer the second version, I think the timbre is much better! =)
I think the vocals on the second mix are a bit too loud. Try balancing them a bit more.

The thing with the high end is not that its bad, its just that if every instrument has information in that area it will build up and will make the mix sound toppy all throughout the song. Try adding a hi cut (or low pass) to some of the instruments, and dont be afraid to make some drastic cuts. I personally like to apply hi cuts to drums around 16k, guitars maybe around 10k sometimes even lower, bass i try to be as drastic as i can. That way, it will clear up space for the hi end information in the vocals and brass.

Hope that clarifies what i was trying to explain before. Happy mixing!