Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Song Of India_mix by Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Here's my interpretation of this cool rendition of this song. Love big band Jazz....like it kind of in-your-face.....comes from my love of Fusion/Jazz.

Tom
Smile

NOTE......UPDATE: The second version below is the latest mix, taking suggestions from azwayne (see below). It's a much better mix! I am very happy with that second mix (Song Of India_6_Mastered). My thanks to azwayne for his very perceptive input and constructive critique. THAT is what we are all here for. [I left the first mix there for comparison.]

Tom

UPDATE: 10/9/2015: I will try to go in and fix this mix further. After Lammy made some helpful comments consistent with aswayne, I will try to tame down the low end both on the bass and kick. I am an old Fusion/Rock guy and it's sooooooooooooo hard for me to tame down kicks and bass....lol.

.mp3    Song Of India_mix Tommy Marcinek.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

.mp3    Song Of India_6_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 6.93 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Love how you did the drums up front.

The extra verb that comes through on the saxes in the intro is a nice touch.

I'd drop the bass a bit. It's kinda crowding out the rest of the band. Might also want to adjust your compression there to let it drop off a bit faster. I'd also suggest going for the EQ and giving us a bit more low end as well.

Drums are up a touch too high as well, in my view. That hat comes through a bit too clearly.

Check that ending... the volume dives down too fast.

Other than that, I pretty well like what I hear. Nice job, sir.

Old West Audio
Thanks very much for your feedback. I will take everything you said to heart and will go back into this mix and see what I can do. I usually spend a lot of time on these mixes, but this one I did rather quickly. And, as a result, there are flaws that you mentioned that might not have been there if i had put the proper time into it. The true experienced experts can get a near perfect sound in very little time - an asset I truly admire. Also, Jazz purists like to hear Jazz a certain way. I come from a Rock/Fusion background in my early years and find it difficult to mix Jazz. This is a learning experience for me for which I am very grateful. When I get the time I will go back in and try to correct the things you mentioned. Thanks again.

Peace,

Tom
(26-09-2015, 04:53 AM)azwayne Wrote: Love how you did the drums up front.

The extra verb that comes through on the saxes in the intro is a nice touch.

I'd drop the bass a bit. It's kinda crowding out the rest of the band. Might also want to adjust your compression there to let it drop off a bit faster. I'd also suggest going for the EQ and giving us a bit more low end as well.

Drums are up a touch too high as well, in my view. That hat comes through a bit too clearly.

Check that ending... the volume dives down too fast.

Other than that, I pretty well like what I hear. Nice job, sir.

azwayne, see my comment and the update above with a new mix taking your suggestions....thanks for your suggestions....I think the new mix is really good!

Thanks,
Tom

Hi there,
Commenting the "mastered" version.
I like very much the "in the face" approach to floor tom, drums and trumpets.
Well done.
As maybe the only improvement I'm daring to suggest:
- I would, as already suggested, tame the bass and a little less the kick. Just a matter of volume or slight band compression. Through the full range monitors the bass kicks loud, and sounds a little unbalanced.
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(29-09-2015, 10:48 PM)Lammy Wrote: Hi there,
Commenting the "mastered" version.
I like very much the "in the face" approach to floor tom, drums and trumpets.
Well done.
As maybe the only improvement I'm daring to suggest:
- I would, as already suggested, tame the bass and a little less the kick. Just a matter of volume or slight band compression. Through the full range monitors the bass kicks loud, and sounds a little unbalanced.
cheers

Lammy,

Thanks for your input and I agree with your observations. When I get the time I will go back in there and attempt to fix those things.

Peace,

Tom
Hi Tommy,

Sounds like a leslie you put on the muffled trombone? Big Grin

A nice special mix for sure

Cheers,
Luc
Pro Tools 12.7
https://soundcloud.com/luc-van-der-stap
http://www.aecom.nl
-Mobile and static studios are ready :-) http://www.audioreg.com
'Mixing is pure subjective, once the 1st mix is launched it will be considered as the best, hence the standard'
(12-10-2015, 12:09 AM)Luc van der Stap Wrote: Hi Tommy,

Cheers,
Luc

---------
Luc,

Yeah, I put something on that trombone but I don't remember what.....lol. It was so low in there and I just wanted it to stand out a bit. Maybe I put some chorusing on there or auto-panning I don't remember. I'd have to go back in there and look. I just multed that part onto a separate track, made it stereo and played around with some plugins to get what you heard....I know it sounds weird but I like to take some risks and try different things. Thanks for the props. Big Grin

Tom
(12-10-2015, 08:32 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 12:09 AM)Luc van der Stap Wrote: Hi Tommy,

Cheers,
Luc

---------
Luc,

Yeah, I put something on that trombone but I don't remember what.....lol. It was so low in there and I just wanted it to stand out a bit. Maybe I put some chorusing on there or auto-panning I don't remember. I'd have to go back in there and look. I just multed that part onto a separate track, made it stereo and played around with some plugins to get what you heard....I know it sounds weird but I like to take some risks and try different things. Thanks for the props. Big Grin

Tom

Woohahaha Tom I can imagine that you put something in but forgot, great mix dude, great mix Big Grin

Cheers,
Luc
Pro Tools 12.7
https://soundcloud.com/luc-van-der-stap
http://www.aecom.nl
-Mobile and static studios are ready :-) http://www.audioreg.com
'Mixing is pure subjective, once the 1st mix is launched it will be considered as the best, hence the standard'