Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rise Up Singing - Olli H
As a reference I used Lyle Lovet's "I've Been To Memphis". (That doesn't mean that my mix has any similarities to that great George Massenburg's mix)

EDIT: The kick feels like a street bumb. I must fix. It ruins the groove.

New mix added where the groove is better - I think. I also slightly opened the stereo field and did some automation here and there.

.mp3    rise-up-2015-09-17-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

.mp3    rise-up-2015-09-16-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 8.84 MB)

Would like to give some pointers to what to work on.. hard.. hmm.. The harmonie was a tad loud at places. Don´t know if I liked the fade. I would check the release times of the compressors.... there is something that doesn´t swing with the groove.
A good mix, maybe a bit "grey" in lack of better words.
Nice sounding Mix olli i like it ,
As a personal taste thing a little more depth with maybe a subtle mastering reverb would sound lovely or maybe not Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for comments. I added a new version to first post. Just small changes.
I agree with Don about a little bit of ambience or reverb on the master track would be good. Another thing that caught my attention was the rack tom first hit at 0:09 sounded a little bit strange. Try to give it more low mids or even use a sample for that.
mixing since April 2013
Man, this guy's got talent. I hope we get some more multitracks from him.
(BTW, he does tour if you all would like to go see him. You should also check out his history. Impressive list of "also played with" names.)

Could use more on the electric guitar. It's a nice part. Maybe also a tad more on the piano.
Towards the end, ithe EG also takes center stage. Might be nice to bring it up there. It makes me wonder if you took the time to go through and do some strategically placed volume automation. The mix didn't seem as dynamic as it could have been (and perhaps the ambience as commented above were part of that.)
Old West Audio