Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe by I Am Cassettes - Really nice Song !
Hi guys,
this is my fourth mix on this board.
Feel free to check the other ones out, too Wink

I looked at the latest additions on the main paige an found that beautiful song, and decided to give it a go. Mostly basic mixing, volume, panorama, frequency wise etc...

As always in my mixes I try to make sure to get the best as possible out of the vocals, hope you like them

Drums sounded nice, didn't felt to be replaced, only a little love, like EQing and compressing

All in all, I didn't pushed the song to the limit (loudness-wise) to keep a little dynamics.

What I did in a list:
- Some basic EQs on the stems to clean up (Low/Hi Cuts etc.)
- Basic volume and panorama mixing (some automation on some group channels I created, so that the song is building up to the final)
- (Parallel)Compressed the drums
- Added a little room to the vocals to mix them better in
- Edited the vocal doublings to get them a bit tighter, cause the recordings were a bit off here and there.

All done in Cubase in approx 4-6 hrs

EDIT: Have to admit, that I have mixed the track with headphones, listened to it afterwards on some pretty decent Hi-Fi/Hometheather stereo speakers and adjusted the mix a little. As I just do this as a hobby I didn't yet invested in some studio monitors or at least monitor headphones, but maybe this christmas, who knows Big Grin

I really would like to get some comments from you guys and/or (constructive) criticism.

Regards,
Marcel

.mp3    i_am_cassettes_-_believe_final1_74.mp3 --  (Download: 5.98 MB)

Nothing wrong there. Just a bit wider panning and more highs and you are ready to go. 4-6 hours are too much. Look at recording revolution. There u can find videos called mixing a song in 1 hour. Keep up the good work.
I think it is too dry.
Take your time mixing. How many super hits have Graham mixed. I listened recently to a great documentary about Max Martin. Sorry guys, it´s in swedish. If you are swede you find it on the sveriges radio site. If I remember correctly he can work on a mix for two weeks. Well he probably do alot of stuff meanwhile, I mean, he can´t sit and do nothing but mixing one song for two weeks, right. Anyway, that dude sure has pulled out quite a few SUPER hits .

And as somebody said. Good is the enemy of great and good just doesn´t cut it.
(12-09-2015, 09:33 AM)Obelix Wrote: Nothing wrong there. Just a bit wider panning and more highs and you are ready to go. 4-6 hours are too much. Look at recording revolution. There u can find videos called mixing a song in 1 hour. Keep up the good work.

Thank you. For my taste, I thought I have enough highs in there. Drum have been panned pretty heavy, about 80 % Left and Right.
The Vocal doublings just about 40 % left and right. I did that, because one doubling-stem was sing at a high pitch and the other one at a low pitch, which sounded weird if I panned them further away.
About the time: Yeah I take my time mixing, it's not work for me so I don't rush.

But thanks for your critisism Wink

(12-09-2015, 01:26 PM)mange Wrote: I think it is too dry.
Take your time mixing. How many super hits have Graham mixed. I listened recently to a great documentary about Max Martin. Sorry guys, it´s in swedish. If you are swede you find it on the sveriges radio site. If I remember correctly he can work on a mix for two weeks. Well he probably do alot of stuff meanwhile, I mean, he can´t sit and do nothing but mixing one song for two weeks, right. Anyway, that dude sure has pulled out quite a few SUPER hits .

And as somebody said. Good is the enemy of great and good just doesn´t cut it.

Haha Obelix said I should mix faster, you say "take you time". I think with 4-6 hours on that mix (to be precise 3 days á 1-2 hours) is enough time.

Yeah I have to agree that the mix a bit dry. If you listen to my other mixed on this board, it is kind of my style to mix very clear, very subtle effects like verb or delay. Most people destroy beautiful vocals like these with a sh.. ton of verb and delay.
What I didn't like about the song, and where I had my problems was the low end / bass. There basically was just the kick, which sounds good, and a Bass Guitar which I think didn't fit composing-wise. There was a lack of warmness, that goes through the whole song.
Nothing wrong with the mix but there's no excitement either.

/C
It's not bad its just not awesome. A little thin, narrow, and in need of some MOJO.