Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATE - Sea of Leaves - Mix of the day
Hi there,

the mix has been updated to something wider and punshier, well...i guess
Tell me if you like/dislike the direction.

.mp3    Sea_of_leaves_A2_wet.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

Any comments? no?
(06-10-2015, 07:42 PM)Vladek Wrote: Any comments? no?

Hi Vladek,

Your mix instrumentally is balanced well, all the instruments can be heard clearly and without getting in the way of each other. For my taste the vocals are quite far down in the mix and are being obscured by the guitars and bass in the mix. Try bringing up the vocals in level a few dBs and automating the volume of the guitars so that they don't step on the toes of the vocals. The mix also has alot of midrange focus which is causing it to sound muddy and lack energy. Scoop out some low mid at 200-300 Hz to open it up alittle and use a wide Q shelving eq at 12kHz to add some air to the mix. The drums could use a touch more reverb to give then a more lively tone but on the otherhand the drums have a very cool strokes vibe to them and if that is what you are trying to achieve, you nailed it! Overall good job with the mix, I hope this helps you with the mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOypSnKFHrE
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
All I can say about this mix is that it sounds weird to me. Main vocal kinda leans of to the right. Guitars sound muffled, try some more 4kHz in them and hpf them around 80-100 Hz. The bass in this song does not keep any significant low end, so do it like this: one track original with distortion and hi passed around 200 Hz just to add some girth to another track you will be putting there an octave or -12 semitones lower and blend the two to taste. Other thing that caught my attention were your weird panning decisions. Also try putting more air from 12kHz up. It is a delicate area kinda like subs. Too much of subs and you blow speakers, too much air and it sounds unnatural and hiped. Other than that, drum tone is great, it reminds me of good ol 70s tone. Keep up the good work.
Thanx guys for your time and advices.
I'll try to improve the mix following your directions. New mix soon.

By the way what's wrong/weird with my pans?