Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Revelations
Mixed this one some time ago, thought i'd throw it out there. Another great tune, thanks for listening.

.mp3    Revelations Dangerous Style.mp3 --  (Download: 10.65 MB)

What's the fuzzy buzzy scratchy sound at the beginning?

Sounds full after. Good vocal treatment, it's very smooth. The band sound like they're taking up the full space they have.
https://soundcloud.com/laurencebush

laurencebush.co.uk

facebook.com/lbsoundandmusic

@lbsoundandmusic
The idea of the old record at the beginning is good, but I would have used a different scratch sound because it took me a while to realize what you were trying to do. But the change was effective and good. The rest of the song is quite smooth and with good instrument separation. I also like the vox treatment Smile
mixing since April 2013
That's a ~60Hz "loose ground wire" sort of hum he's got in there, not record noise per se (though cheap turntable components or a worn our head could give similar sorts of noise).

It's the "cheap home audio system assembled from scavenged parts you wired together with cables you soldered yourself because you couldn't afford anything else" sort of sound. This whole sort of setup is something I'm very familiar with. Big Grin

Only thing I would suggest is that inbetween the verses (and similiar sorts of points), bring up the guitars and keys a bit for the exclamation. As it is now, when the voice goes away, there's kind of a lack of level that makes these passages underwhelming.

On the solo... more of the keyboard in the left channel and maybe a hair less of the guitar in the right.

Otherwise, I agree. This was a pretty nice mix.
Old West Audio
(10-11-2015, 08:11 PM)Laurence Bush Wrote: What's the fuzzy buzzy scratchy sound at the beginning?

Sounds full after. Good vocal treatment, it's very smooth. The band sound like they're taking up the full space they have.

That fuzzy buzzy scratchy sound was me trying to be a bit different with a low fi worn out vinyl sound. Probably didn't quite pull it off. From memory I found the intro sounding somewhat dull and possibly suffering from some tape degradation. Thought I would try and mask it over. Thanks for listening and commenting. Appreciated
(10-11-2015, 08:49 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: The idea of the old record at the beginning is good, but I would have used a different scratch sound because it took me a while to realize what you were trying to do. But the change was effective and good. The rest of the song is quite smooth and with good instrument separation. I also like the vox treatment Smile

Yes, I understand what you are saying with the intro. I did originally have a more dramatic effect but it was sounding like It was coming from a 1901 Edison wax cylinder lol. A telephone effect may have been a better option. Thanks for your comments.
(15-11-2015, 05:39 AM)azwayne Wrote: That's a ~60Hz "loose ground wire" sort of hum he's got in there, not record noise per se (though cheap turntable components or a worn our head could give similar sorts of noise).

It's the "cheap home audio system assembled from scavenged parts you wired together with cables you soldered yourself because you couldn't afford anything else" sort of sound. This whole sort of setup is something I'm very familiar with. Big Grin

Only thing I would suggest is that inbetween the verses (and similiar sorts of points), bring up the guitars and keys a bit for the exclamation. As it is now, when the voice goes away, there's kind of a lack of level that makes these passages underwhelming.

On the solo... more of the keyboard in the left channel and maybe a hair less of the guitar in the right.

Otherwise, I agree. This was a pretty nice mix.

Scavenging parts for my cheap builds is something I'm very familiar with. lol! I hear what your saying with some of the dynamics. Don't remember if I've use some automation with this track or not. I need to open up the project again and have a play with fresh ears! Thanks for your input.

(15-11-2015, 12:42 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Yes, I understand what you are saying with the intro. I did originally have a more dramatic effect but it was sounding like It was coming from a 1901 Edison wax cylinder lol. A telephone effect may have been a better option. Thanks for your comments.

Yeah, I agree... if you're going for lofi, put a bandpass filter on it with a mild to moderate slope. Don't have to take it down to quite "telephone", but definitely knock off most of the low end and at least dull the high end. (Say, 800-5000Hz and tweak to taste.)
Old West Audio
It's great!!! Finally a good kick! Smile
(10-07-2016, 12:34 AM)Heliz Wrote: It's great!!! Finally a good kick! Smile

Thanks for dusting this one off, Heliz. It was fun working with the softer analogue tones presented here.

Dave