Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swinging Steaks - 'Lost My Way'
I tried this song two years ago when I was starting to mix and after a couple of failed attempts, I decided to wait until I had a better knowledge.

Well, the time has come and here's my mix. I hope this time it's much better than in the past Big Grin

.mp3    The Swinging Steaks - Lost My Way (2015).mp3 --  (Download: 8.91 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Great sounding mix. I also tried to mix this song but it was too hard. Snare drum needs to be 3 dB louder and thats it.
Thank you, Obelix! that was easy to fix! here it is with a louder snare! Yes, it was difficult, but with perseverance everything is possible! Smile

.mp3    The Swinging Steaks - Lost My Way (2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.91 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I think you've got a nice well balanced sound going on here. I'm not familiar with the song but I would like to hear the backing vocals come up a bit and help assist the lead vocals. Great Work.
Sounds ok, maybe the snare feels little "hollow" and I can agree with previous writer about the bg vocals. I know the drums was the hardest part here, was struggling myself with them :-)

/C
Thank you Dangerous and Cassandra for your comments. Now the bvocals have a bigger importance and I've also checked on my snare. I hope it is now better Smile

.mp3    The Swinging Steaks - Lost My Way (3).mp3 --  (Download: 8.91 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Dear Jose
I think it is better, but there is no reason to change a mix to others like :-) If you self think it's better that's what counts in my opinion. Some people say that we should throw personal taste away when mixing. I'm not of that opinion. Not in this forum anyway. If you are mixing for a customer it is different. Here, we can do what we like and of course listen to others opinions and hints. Some people like this and some others like something complete different.

blabla.. :-) anyway Good Work
Don't worry, Cassandra. I listen to suggestions and then I listen to my mix and think if I agree or not. Sometimes I agree and if the change is better, then I keep it. If I don't agree or with the change, the mix gets worse, then I don't change anything.

Thank you again for your advice Smile
mixing since April 2013
work on techniques and use them to help you mold your mix vision.
It seems to me that nowadays I find new tracks to mix by checking what you’re doing. I’ll definitivly try this. Well, I already started, and it seems to me that you’ve gotten pretty decent sound of those tracks.

So sounds and balances feel quite fine to me. I listened ver 3. So I agree with others, that it's a good mix from the material. But one minor thing came to my mind: somethings wrong with the panning as snare (maybe kick also??) feels to be just a little bit on the right side. (I’m sure you can hear snare moving to center, if you press mono button.) And when that stereo guitar comes in for example if you listen around 0.50-1.00 there’s much more mid-weight in the right side to be more on right side and acoustic guitar alone in the left.