Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Forkupines: "Semantics"
Hi, I'm Manuel from Germany and I'm new on this platform. I mixed this Track, because I thought that it's really inspiring and a well produced track!

Would be nice if you guys would take a listen Smile

.mp3    Semantics - Furcupines (Mixed).mp3 --  (Download: 10.18 MB)

sorry this is pretty garbage the drums sound like plastic and guitars are super thin sorry just being real not tryna hate
Hi, Manuel...

Drums are probably a rather simple matter... You have to flip the polarity on one of the mics on the kick and the snare or you'll end up with a thin sound. Whenever you have multiple mics, you need to check. You also need to check them against the overheads and room mics. In this case, that seems not to be an issue but it needs to be checked every time.

I think the biggest concern here are that there are a few balance problems. Generally, it sounds good because it was well recorded but we as mix engineers have to go through and figure out not just how to blend it but how to make it shine. I'd suggest putting this next to some of your favorite tracks and listen not for the comparitive sound but rather listen to how the dynamics are laid out on their tracks as compared to how you did things. Take a single instrument, like the rhythm guitar or the snare and/or kick and just focus on it through the song and try to hear changes in dynamics and tone as well as which sits on top and what is off in the background and by how much. (A little or a lot? Does it change?) Then focus on how they blend and contrast with the rest of the instruments. I think that might help to visualize how things should be layered in for better effect.
Old West Audio
(27-10-2015, 10:36 PM)andrew0v Wrote: sorry this is pretty garbage the drums sound like plastic and guitars are super thin sorry just being real not tryna hate

Thanks for reply... I kinda ignored the Phaseproblems within the Drums but thanks for being honest
(28-10-2015, 08:35 AM)azwayne Wrote: Hi, Manuel...

Drums are probably a rather simple matter... You have to flip the polarity on one of the mics on the kick and the snare or you'll end up with a thin sound. Whenever you have multiple mics, you need to check. You also need to check them against the overheads and room mics. In this case, that seems not to be an issue but it needs to be checked every time.

I think the biggest concern here are that there are a few balance problems. Generally, it sounds good because it was well recorded but we as mix engineers have to go through and figure out not just how to blend it but how to make it shine. I'd suggest putting this next to some of your favorite tracks and listen not for the comparitive sound but rather listen to how the dynamics are laid out on their tracks as compared to how you did things. Take a single instrument, like the rhythm guitar or the snare and/or kick and just focus on it through the song and try to hear changes in dynamics and tone as well as which sits on top and what is off in the background and by how much. (A little or a lot? Does it change?) Then focus on how they blend and contrast with the rest of the instruments. I think that might help to visualize how things should be layered in for better effect.

Thanks man! That's really helpful! I looked at the Phase relationship but didn't looked for the Phase issue between Overheads and Kick...
I try to fix that and let the mix shine haha! Wink
Well, solo the two mics for the kick drum. Listen. Flip the polarity on one. Is the sound deeper and fuller or thin and dull? Always pick the deeper, fuller one. If it makes no difference either way, you are safe to ignore it if you choose. The overheads here didn't get in the way but the kick and snare triggers did because they responded the same way a mic would have.
Old West Audio