Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Как твои дела, Вова? Hello From Russia :d
Hi guys! Need some criticism and instruction concerning the mix

.mp3    Как твои дела, Вова.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

Great mix. Really punchy. Hard to fault reallySmile
(03-09-2015, 06:55 AM)Nos Wrote: Great mix. Really punchy. Hard to fault reallySmile

Thanks, man Cool
hi,

for me, there's a major disparity within the depth field. the guitars are right up front, and the drums are lost in the background?

panning the guitars wide is causing some discomfort in headphones owing to the loss of spacial reference; guitar on L isn't heard on the R...which in real life it should be. it also sounds like the guitars are sitting on my shoulders in headphones. given the sheer number of listeners using ear plugs and cans these days.....you gotta think about presenting a decent sound stage illusion for them too. this panning issue also leads to fatigue in headphones. perhaps aim to bring them in to say 70 percent? experiment.

i'm also having some concerns with the cymbals...harsh and washy (the word "washy" has yet to appear in the mixing handbook of useful phrases!), so there is a tendency for them to be fatiguing, at least to my sensitive ears over HD Ovations.

down-mixing to mono causes the 2 guitars to merge into one. perhaps you need to be able to differentiate their sonic differences more audibly somehow? but you need to keep an ear on how this could impact on the spectral balance in a stereo panorama.

- the piano is heavily masked.
- the audio is clipping and causing distortion thru my DAC.
- you need to back off the compressors.....your LUFS is around -8 which is adding to the fatigue i'm experiencing. aim for an integrated value here of -14LUFS approx.
- it sounds like the arrangement is lacking in musical dynamics which leads to a tedious presentation. is there some way in which you can increase the musical dynamic, say, between verse and chorus while trying to make the chorus more engaging at the same time?

i've not mixed this, have no idea of what problems exist in the recordings, so please take that into account in my obs! anyway, hope there's something here to help your journey Wink

and give more feedback.....if you want respect. it will force you to critically listen to other's mixes which will feed back into your ability to criticise/analyse your own material Wink

try and explore your application of ambiance/reverbs to help present a better illusion of space while avoiding masking issues that verbs can create. this will help you place instruments with greater confidence and clarity in the depth field. use of reverb and ambiance is an Art which takes time to develop, so go easy on yourself, eh? have a go at soloing an instrument and simply playing around with the presets of your chosen emu.....and then push some big parameter changes to understand how it affects your perceptions of space.

catch ya later,,
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Horosho ! Drums sound great and gtrs jump through the speakers. I feel like I am listening to a live concert.
Чува-а-а-к! Как ты это сделал? xD
Sounding first class through my headphones. Well done. Rock 'n Roll...