Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe
I Am Cassettes

.mp3    Believe.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

I wouldn´t exaggerate if I said that mix is a tad bright. I havn´t listened to your other mixes but judging from this... I think you need to check on your monitoring.
Yes i made it this bright on purpose. That's just the way my ears ended up liking it. Your mix sounds good ...the kick was really the only thing that was bothering me at certain places and well just like the rest of the mixes below there's a lack of excitement to them (lack of energy towards the end). I also prefer the breathing left in. Helps me feel the emotion more. Different tastes i guess Sad Well Done! Smile
Agree with mange. It is little bright. Even if it's by purpose. :-)

/C
The reason it is purposely bright is because i suffer from loss of hearing and making things brighter and more distorted helps me to hear it better. I did not enter the contest. Wink
So you have compensated your hearing loss in your mix. You should apply it on your monitoring instead. Not your mix. It will take some time to tune it so it sounds natural to you and us but it´s doable. You also need to use a spectrum analyzer to see that things are not totally out of wack and most important, use reference tracks. In Mike Seniors book he mentiones as an example Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. If vocals are as bright as on that song then.. it´s tooo much. He has a lot of examples such that in his book. I sometimes use the last studio album from Eagles as a max limit. To me that album sounds very good but just on the verge of getting hyped in the tops and lows.
Thanks Mange...i started working on another mix in here and i will try to scale it back on my highs and distortion as i get towards the end of the mix. I never thought about it that way with the monitoring. I believe this is why i've been finding alot of songs boring lately...to everyone else probably sounds fine but because i'm not hearing my higher frequencies the same it always feels like there's something missing to me. The bass i can feel it by putting my feet up against the wall and that's how i try to get that right and referencing it against another song...surprisingly it works even if i have headphones on (really strange). Right now i'm just glad it's a 5-10% loss and not like 4 years ago when it was at 90-95% loss. I blew my ears out and went 4 months with only 5% left until that day when they finally started to pop back slowly. After that third month i was starting to accept the fact that i was going to be that way permanently. So i have been more kind to my ears now...i don't listen as loud anymore. I would prefer to not go back there again. Confused
Great advice Mange, and sorry to hear about your hearing loss Lupo. It's not exactly in your favour for mixing, but great to hear you keep going anyway :-)

/C
Yah well it's my own fault...i did it to myself. Lesson learned there that's for sure. Big Grin But that's how mixing came to be for me...it was a way to escape and keep my mind from thinking so much. After hearing the comments i've been getting on here and my own family shouting at me and myself starting to mumble more when i speak i realised i wasn't 100% back the way i thought. But this i can definitely live with. Good luck in your mixing journey!
It really is addictive Rolleyes
Sounds pretty well balanced !
I'm wondering if this idea would help if you haven't already tried it,By importing some of your favorite reference music into you DAW and Using a graphic eq on the master bus to compensate some hf loss,save the setting,and use that eq to mix and listen to other mixes through ?

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts