Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hold On You - HB Mix
(20-08-2015, 06:55 AM)thedon Wrote: Snare sounds much better in version 2 Big Grin !

Thanks mate....it finally came together
(23-08-2015, 08:13 PM)thetanks Wrote: The second version sounds much better. I like the sound on the bass, specially on the chorus.

The drums sound very compressed but i like the sound it gives.

Hey tanks - thanks for listening .... glad you liked it.

Interesting to hear your comments about drums. I only have 1 db at 2:1 just for glue on the drum buss and virtually nothing on mix buss so not sure if what you're hearing is compression (unless original tracking is heavily compressed). It could be my EQ/FX. Either way, I'm glad that you liked it Big Grin
New version, mix 1.2. No changes except add fade out to close.

Figured out the Mark Knopfler reference - "Lady Writer" by Dire Straits - which also ends with a long fade out over closing solo

.mp3    Hold On You_ HB Mix 1.2 Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

A very nice mix, well done!

p.s. factoid - The lovely electric slide guitar work is not me, but rather a fine player from Los Angeles named Randy Mitchell. We recorded that at his home studio. For those who care about such details, he played a 335 through a distortion box of some sort, with a delay pedal, and then into a Fender head, finally into a power soak DI box (can't recall the brand), straight into the line input of his converter. No speaker or mic was involved. In retrospect I would have added the delay after the fact, but it was printed on the takes, and the astute observer will notice it is discontinuous in places where I comped the takes together. But I don't think anyone hears it in context with the song.
James May
very good mix, Simon. Great ambience and instrument separation. I like it a lot!! Smile
mixing since April 2013
(24-08-2015, 03:12 AM)James May Wrote: A very nice mix, well done!

Thanks James. Glad you liked it

(24-08-2015, 03:12 AM)James May Wrote: p.s. factoid - The lovely electric slide guitar work is not me, but rather a fine player from Los Angeles named Randy Mitchell. We recorded that at his home studio. For those who care about such details, he played a 335 through a distortion box of some sort, with a delay pedal, and then into a Fender head, finally into a power soak DI box (can't recall the brand), straight into the line input of his converter. No speaker or mic was involved. In retrospect I would have added the delay after the fact, but it was printed on the takes, and the astute observer will notice it is discontinuous in places where I comped the takes together. But I don't think anyone hears it in context with the song.

wow.....335! I thought it was a pedal steel or lap steel for sure. Amazing control and tone....and that overdrive is beautiful....growling lows, creamy highs.....and via DI is pretty impressive too.....He obviously knows his set-up inside out!

(24-08-2015, 07:00 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: very good mix, Simon. Great ambience and instrument separation. I like it a lot!! Smile

Thanks Juan Jose!
Great mix! I really enjoyed it. Everything has its place in the mix even though there are only 9 tracks it sounds much bigger!

(17-08-2015, 03:05 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Always a treat to mix a new James May track - well done Mike and thanks again James.

Love the slide guitar in this track - beautifully played and recorded. Something about the final solo reminds me of Mark Knopfler - maybe the melodic phrasing

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, 1.1, uploaded below. Changes to snare
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, mix 1.2, uploaded below. No changes except add fade out to close

(25-08-2015, 10:32 PM)mixerjason Wrote: Great mix! I really enjoyed it. Everything has its place in the mix even though there are only 9 tracks it sounds much bigger!

Thanks for listening....Glad you liked it. CheersBig Grin
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar