Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe - manuke mix
Almost lost the will to live.....

.mp3    cass3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.63 MB)

Listening on my HD 650's and it's a nice mix. There are some stark changes in volume from section to section. You lose a little energy going into the bridge, I think you blew your proverbial wad on the chorus before it. I think if you fix that, a lot will be resolved. I think some parts might be a little overly compressed, like the acoustic, but I see what kind of mix you're driving for (I presume I do, at least). You're close, just work on some transitional automation to ease into some sections.

Cheers!
Draper
Hey Draper, that's great, I hadn't noticed the transitions things but will check it out. Cheers. [Though the ac gtr was overcompressed on the original track, one of the many problems with this song.]
Very nice sounding mix i like it ,the pumping on the acoustics is a challenge i also had with the already compressed guitars.
for some reason the mix level drops at 2.40 ,getting the soft parts especially the intro to to sound powerfull and the louder parts of the mix to clip in mastering is a good challenge Big Grin.
Good job

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I agree with Don the level drop at 2.40. I had a very similar problem when I was mixing the song, and (I think) I solved it by automating the mix volume leaving the 'power' parts at the volume they had, and lowering one or 1.5 db in the softer parts. Then, when mastering, there won't be excesive clipping in those louder parts.

Other than that, I like your mix a lot... and I couldn't help feeling jealous of your snare when comparing it with mine Smile
mixing since April 2013
2.40. Yikes!!! Shows you how much attention I was paying, never noticed. Done with mixing this but had a look at the session, the bvs and flute drop out and the lead voc is too quiet in that section. Oh well....
Thanks juanjose and Don, glad you had a listen.
(21-08-2015, 07:15 AM)manuke Wrote: Almost lost the will to live.....

you weren't alone Wink

i think you've done a good job here. adding to the other's feedback, i'd perhaps flag up some opportunities here and there to help push some accents in the song instrumentally? a couple of places by way of example, are the guitars, one at 1:00 panned right (you got the piano and harp out well here though) and again at 1:51 and a biggie at 2:40? they sound a little lost in the ethos, as it were. Don mentioned the energy problem at 2:40, but it's not just energy, it's EQ and clarity as well.

the spectral spike in the vocal caused by the sibilance is a tricky one to fix because this is about the only stuff in the vocal tracking much above 1kHz! lose this 8kHz lump of fatigue and the vocals presence disappears into oblivion, so it's a bit of a no-win situation. i'd have rolled off some of the cymbals though, most definitely. darn things were a health hazard - aliasing.

did you mute the kick on the intro? i don't know if it's the mp3 artifacts from nailing the lossy compression at 192kbps, but i can't hear the cymbal articulation on the way in?

is there a reason you aren't posting at 320kbps?
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(22-08-2015, 11:52 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:

you weren't alone Wink

i think you've done a good job here. adding to the other's feedback, i'd perhaps flag up some opportunities here and there to help push some accents in the song instrumentally? a couple of places by way of example, are the guitars, one at 1:00 panned right (you got the piano and harp out well here though) and again at 1:51 and a biggie at 2:40? they sound a little lost in the ethos, as it were. Don mentioned the energy problem at 2:40, but it's not just energy, it's EQ and clarity as well.

the spectral spike in the vocal caused by the sibilance is a tricky one to fix because this is about the only stuff in the vocal tracking much above 1kHz! lose this 8kHz lump of fatigue and the vocals presence disappears into oblivion, so it's a bit of a no-win situation. i'd have rolled off some of the cymbals though, most definitely. darn things were a health hazard - aliasing.

did you mute the kick on the intro? i don't know if it's the mp3 artifacts from nailing the lossy compression at 192kbps, but i can't hear the cymbal articulation on the way in?

is there a reason you aren't posting at 320kbps?

Hey thanks for the detailed feedback and tips, been uploading at 192 cos I'm an idiot. Fixed that, thanks for pointing it out. Uploaded a new version, tweaked the 2.40 part a little, and I am done. Yeah, muted the drums until 1.00, didn't see the point of them before that. Cheers mate.

+1 to that....my ears are still fatigued 18 hrs after posting

Nothing really to add. Your bass level is probably more than I would have gone with..... but I like it, it works in your mix and I think you've controlled it nicely.....no obvious resonance etc

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Yeah, the bass is a bit tubby I guess. Thanks for having a listen.