Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Am Cassettes - Believe
This is the mix I've submitted to the contest.

Comments and advice for improvement will be welcomed despite I've already submitted the song. This song is so beautiful that deserves all the time spent on it! Smile

.mp3    I Am Cassettes - Believe.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Lovely mix Juan ,just the snare sounds thin maybe too much bottom snare,also the overhead tracks left and right are out of phase on the multitracks which is a trapBig Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Yeah, shame about the snare, think the rest of it is really impressive, it's good stuff. Really like the separation you've achieved too, not easy to make everything audible as you've done.
I agree with manuke and don. The snare is quite thin sounding, and your separation sounds nice. Your acoustic feels a little veiled when it is exposed. It fits nicely in the mix when all the tracks start coming in. Your vox sound quite nice!

Nice job!

Draper
thank you Don and Manuke for your comments

Lately I'm having lots of problems with my snares and it's become a serious weakness which I must learn how to improve. I have tried to fix it and make it sound better. Now I'm not too sure if it's alright or not. Anyway, I must watch some videos and read more about snares Eq, compression and saturation if I really want to get better at mixing.

Yes, there was a phase problem with the OH tracks, but I tried to solve it before I posted the mix by muting the room mics and create an artificial room with reverb. I also tried to fix the phase problem and I made it sound better than before, but if you noticed that, it means it was not enough what I did. So I have more "homework" to do these days Big Grin

.mp3    I Am Cassettes - Believe(2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

mixing since April 2013
(21-08-2015, 05:44 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: thank you Don and Manuke for your comments

Lately I'm having lots of problems with my snares and it's become a serious weakness which I must learn how to improve. I have tried to fix it and make it sound better. Now I'm not too sure if it's alright or not. Anyway, I must watch some videos and read more about snares Eq, compression and saturation if I really want to get better at mixing.

Yes, there was a phase problem with the OH tracks, but I tried to solve it before I posted the mix by muting the room mics and create an artificial room with reverb. I also tried to fix the phase problem and I made it sound better than before, but if you noticed that, it means it was not enough what I did. So I have more "homework" to do these days Big Grin
Snare sounding better.
You are not alone with snare problems ,I also found the top snare and bottom phase is slightly out alignment ,zooming in on the wave and aligning the first snare hit on top, bottom and overheads hopefully will give more body to the snare Big Grin
I uploaded 2 screen shots of the top and bottom snare in my mix,as you can see i had to move the top snare wave to the right a touch as the bottom snare lined up with the overheads snare wave and flip the phase of the overhead that is 180 degree out.Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Iz4o2tn00

Thumbnail(s)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Can you believe that I just watched that video yesterday right after my post? Smile For me it's easier to hear the difference in the kick or snare, but not in cymbals or hihats. But I think that with this song, I'm starting to recognize when they are out of phase.

There are so many things to learn!!! Smile
mixing since April 2013
Listened to V2...Overall a nicely balanced mix. I love the vocal intro and FX ....and I like the laid back approach to the arrangement.
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
thank you!
mixing since April 2013
Really nice work. You seem to know what you are doin Wink . When i listen to your drum/bass section reminds me 70's rock...Like "Hotel California" for example Tongue hehe . It's a really different direction that what i've done but very nice. It'd be nice that you guys used more the last string section because i feel like the song doesnt really explode as it should as many people here keeps the strings really low....Anyway, nice work Wink

Cheers

Ak3r