Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Believe
Frankly I don’t see any contradiction here.

Room mode calculations functions well only in doorless beton bunkers. And the 38 % rule is based on room modes.

But calculated modes don’t match so well to real life situations because quite often some walls of the room are thinner than others, floor and ceiling constructions can be very different from walls, windows and doors change the drastically situation etc. That’s why calculators are used mainly to help to design the room that is not yet bullt, but not to solve problems of existing rooms.

So with already existing rooms, one should not start with theorethical calculations. Calculations of propagation of sound are extremely diifficult. Feel free to laugh again, but my irresponsible suggestion would be to use a simple act of measuring the room to find optimal speaker and listening position. It’s simple, it’s free, and it won’t take too long.

It may happen that in the end the optimal placement is just around 38%, but quite often it may happen that it’s somewhere else. And only way to find that, is to use measuring tools - at least to most of us. I’m quite sure that Bob Hodas meant something like that. But don’t listen me, what do I know, I’m just a irresponsible ignoramus, who has not read tons of books.