Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hold On You - HB Mix
Always a treat to mix a new James May track - well done Mike and thanks again James.

Love the slide guitar in this track - beautifully played and recorded. Something about the final solo reminds me of Mark Knopfler - maybe the melodic phrasing

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, 1.1, uploaded below. Changes to snare
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, mix 1.2, uploaded below. No changes except add fade out to close

.mp3    Hold On You_ HB Mix 1.0 Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

Nice separation with instruments. I can actually recognize the bass as an instrument. Isn't your frequnecy spectrum a bit too bright? Having a hard time to get through the track at reasonable listening level on my system.
(17-08-2015, 05:48 AM)kapu Wrote: Nice separation with instruments. I can actually recognize the bass as an instrument. Isn't your frequnecy spectrum a bit too bright? Having a hard time to get through the track at reasonable listening level on my system.
Hey Kapu - Thanks for listening and your comments.

re brightness - you're probably right. So much upper frequency energy in the snare..could probably do with a tweak.

Cheers, Simon
Haven't mixed this one so dunno what you're dealing with, but think it sounds great except for the snare [rimshot sounds good though] something not happening there, and also think it could use more kick, but overall it's good stuff, really nice space and separation. Think a feature of your mixes is the nice tight low end, noticed that on others. I'd be tempted to mute the slide during the first verse though. :]
(17-08-2015, 09:50 AM)manuke Wrote: Haven't mixed this one so dunno what you're dealing with, but think it sounds great except for the snare [rimshot sounds good though] something not happening there, and also think it could use more kick, but overall it's good stuff, really nice space and separation. Think a feature of your mixes is the nice tight low end, noticed that on others. I'd be tempted to mute the slide during the first verse though. :]
thanks mate.......having read yours and kapu's comments I'm gonna definitely re look at snare and probably kick too plus a tweak of the top-end of the frequency balance - cheers
Cool version Simon,nice use of space the thin snare is a challenge,I found the top and bottom snare was out of alignment and 180 degrees out of phase with the overheads but still tried to add a sample !

Cheers

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(18-08-2015, 07:20 AM)thedon Wrote: Cool version Simon,nice use of space the thin snare is a challenge,I found the top and bottom snare was out of alignment and 180 degrees out of phase with the overheads but still tried to add a sample !

Cheers

Hey Don - thanks for that.

working on V2 with improved snare timbre...did a quick fix...but sounds a little dull now ....so need to make time for a proper job before reposting.

Cheers
New version, 1.1, uploaded.

improved snare timbre - had to automate eq to add more beef and cut highs during choruses and solos but maintain light/bright rim shots during verses.

Very small adjustments to bass/kick balance plus tweak to master EQ to control top-end brightness/brittleness

.mp3    Hold On You_ HB Mix 1.1 Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

(20-08-2015, 03:54 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: New version, 1.1, uploaded.

improved snare timbre - had to automate eq to add more beef and cut highs during choruses and solos but maintain light/bright rim shots during verses.

Very small adjustments to bass/kick balance plus tweak to master EQ to control top-end brightness/brittleness
Snare sounds much better in version 2 Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

The second version sounds much better. I like the sound on the bass, specially on the chorus.

The drums sound very compressed but i like the sound it gives.