Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - One minute Smile
Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum and I would really appreciate if you guys could leave some feedback of my mix.

.mp3    Actions - One Minute Smile.mp3 --  (Download: 2.46 MB)

I like the mix. The only thing i would change is trying to get the overheads in there more.
Hi Dustin3P,

Thanks very much for you advice. Here is version 2 with the overheads a little louder. Please let me know if you like it sounds better now.

Regards.

.mp3    Actions - One Minute Smile V2.mp3 --  (Download: 2.45 MB)

Still needs to come up some. The hi hat is pretty invisible and the cymbals only poke out every once in a while. The main point in the overheads in general is to have a overall drums sound that sounds more like a real kit. It sounds like the overheads were pretty low on the tottem pole in the mixing process which was a mistake i made for years and years and years and....well you get the point lol. Im guessing you either start with the vocals or the kick and snare and build from there and leave the overheads to be brought up last. One thing that will help is either starting the mix with the overheads and building the kit around that then bring in the bass and other instruments or just start with everything up and adjust the faders to get a quick but decent balance you can work with and do both of those in mono. If you start with the overheads that will give you more of a popo drums sound and starting with everything up will give you more of a guitarts up front sound or at least for me thats how it works. One other trick i use to kind of check out where the levels are and make sure they are pretty tight is pink noise. Use a aux track and put pink noise on the aux. I use a VU meter and usually have the pink noise at -25 and my mix hitting at -20 VU and listen for anything popping out unpleasantly and ill adjust the level while listening to the pink noise. For thw pink noise i use a stereo track just so you can check your levels in mono and stereo with the pink noise. Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Hi Dustin,

Thanks again for your help. I think that all you said makes a lot of sense and I will upload a second version as soon as possible with the overheads more in there. I tend to start my mixes with a good kick and snare sound and build from there but I will follow your advice and see how I get on. I don't usually use the pink noise trick but I would really appreciate if you could upload a video to show me how you do that.

Regards.
Im not that good with video but im gonna try to find a way to do that for you because even though it shouldnt be your main way of setting levels its a great way to keep it all in check. Give me a few days and i might try to show you with this exact track because im starting another mix with it with different drums cause the ones i used were kinda blah lol.
Hi Dustin,

Here are three other versions. When you get a chance have a listen on it and let me know what you think.

Regards.

.mp3    Actions - One Minute Smile V3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

.mp3    Actions - One Minute Smile V4.mp3 --  (Download: 2.45 MB)

.mp3    Actions - One Minute Smile V5.mp3 --  (Download: 2.45 MB)

The mix is good , i can hear everything. i would go back in and bring the overheads up a bit , ( i would go in and start with over heads, bring them to a good level and slowly start adding the kick in , the snare and everything else, i wold bring the back up vocals up more to assist the main vocals more. and to me there is to much reverb on the vocals.

Listening to your V3 i feel the kick got lost

keep up the mixing !Big Grin