Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Bridges - Bold Beagle
This is a quickie. I like this song so I finished the mix, but I'm not 100% sure my mixing environment is tight enough in the low end to really get something like this right.

However, some of us do seem to have really good rooms/monitors, and I'd really appreciate any insight you might have on the low end sound.

It's not really obvious coming through my speakers, but it sounds like the raw bass guitar has quite a bit of bass/sub mud, so I've attempted to clean that up a little bit. Probably should automate the low cuts a little higher on the kicks during the rolls?

Given my insecurity on the bass/kick interaction, I've decided to upload my unmastered mix, so it's peaking around -5 dB.

Any comments or critiques will be graciously accepted and returned.

Bold Beagle.

.mp3    Bold Beagle Burning Bridges.mp3 --  (Download: 8.92 MB)

You mentioned something about low end. Only one can reign in first two octaves that said is from 30 Hz to 120 Hz. For this type if music I would hi pass kick drum around 70 Hz and let the bass take the sub lows. This being said, drummer has a double pedal and does fast 16th notes and some 32nd note bursts, you better boost 8 dB in region between 6k and 10kHz. This way you can clean unneeded low end from kick drum and have huge sounding bass gtr.
Thanks for feedback. Metal is a tricky mix situation, always.