Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Mix Rescue' mix
Here's the mix I did of this track for Sound On Sound magazine's November 2010 'Mix Rescue' column, using only Cockos Reaper and a variety of third-party freeware plug-ins. If you like the sound of this mix, then you can download my full Reaper project here.

.mp3    1011_Remix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.89 MB)

Is it me or does this sound like its been mixed in a real bad room.
Its me lol.
(18-05-2014, 12:54 AM)takka360 Wrote: Is it me or does this sound like its been mixed in a real bad room.

Not the best room, admittedly. But it's all about making the best of what you can. The sound of most of my mixes is a function of the references a lot of the time, anyway. At the end of the day, the client is king! Smile
I'm giving this one another shot currently so I dropped in here to see what you were able to do with it, and I'm stupid-impressed. I put an analyzer on your mix to get a better idea how the instruments are fitting together... well, it's like a jigsaw puzzle. This is mixed so well you can SEE it! Tongue

My problem is... I've got a shiny new sub-synth line programmed to fix the bass as you've suggested in mix rescue, but I can't seem to get a kick drum sub-sample to get along with it. The disclaimer here is that my monitoring from about 90 hZ and south is pretty bad due to room issues I can't control, but even when I turn my monitors' output down low, the speakers are distorting, and I don't usually have this problem. Sound selection is probably part of the problem, almost always is part if not the entire problem altogether, but can you remember if there was anything beyond choosing the samples that helped you to get those parts to sit with one another?

Thanks again for this resource... almost all of my progress and skill I earned here Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hi pauli,

Thanks for the kind words! Smile Incidentally, if you want to see exactly what I did, my full Reaper remix project can be downloaded from here.

(26-03-2015, 06:22 PM)pauli Wrote: My problem is... I've got a shiny new sub-synth line programmed to fix the bass as you've suggested in mix rescue, but I can't seem to get a kick drum sub-sample to get along with it.

This may actually be part of the problem. I seem to remember in that instance that I deliberately kept the subs of the kick well in check so that I could let the bass take the really low-end part of the mix. Perhaps it's just that you're trying to overload the subs? Alternatively, you might have some useless subsonics in with your sub samples, which might be overloading your speakers for no useful purpose.
Oh wow, I didn't see you had the Reaper project up... I use Reaper, too. Thanks a bunch, I'll check it out.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(26-03-2015, 11:12 PM)pauli Wrote: Oh wow, I didn't see you had the Reaper project up... I use Reaper, too.

That was one of those projects where I only used freeware plug-ins too, I think (albeit 32-bit ones -- it was a while ago), so hopefully you should be able to load it up completely.

Here are details of where you can get the plug-ins I used. I did this list a few years ago, though, so let me know if there are any that you can't locate any more and I'll investigate:

Mokafix Noamp
www.mokafix.com
(Noamp is listed on the effect products page -- click the ‘FX’ link at the top of the home page to get there.)

Schwa Notepad
http://stash.reaper.fm
(Enter 'tracknotepad' into the search field to bring up the appropriate link.)

GVST GFader, GClip, and GGain
www.gvst.co.uk
(Click on ‘Free VST effects and instruments’ on the home page, and then follow each plug-in’s dedicated link – make sure to download the ‘Grymmjack Skin’ versions.)

Kjaerhus Audio Classic Chorus
(This company doesn’t exist any more, but their freeware ‘Classic’ plug-in bundle is still easy to find on the net, for example at www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm.)

Bootsy Nasty LF
http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com
(Follow the ‘Download’ link on the right-hand side of the home page – Nasty LF is part of the Nasty Series bundle.)

Voxengo MSED
www.voxengo.com
(Click on ‘Audio Plugins & Downloads’ at the top of the home page and then follow the dedicated MSED link.)

George Yohng W1 Limiter
www.yohng.com
(Follow the ‘W1 Limiter’ link on the left of the home page.)

Digital Fishphones Blockfish and Spitfish
www.digitalfishphones.com
(Click ‘Audio Plugins’ on the left of the home page, and then ‘The Fish Fillets’.)

Mda RingMod, Bandisto, and Limiter
http://mda.smartelectronix.com
(Both these plug-ins are in the main download bundle.)

GSI Timeverb and Organized Trio
www.genuinesoundware.com
(Click on ‘Products’ at the top of the home page to get to the products page: Timeverb has its own dedicated link, while Organized Trio is part of the ‘Soundfonts.it Legacy Donationware Plug-ins’ collection.)

Retrosampling Twisted Tube
www.retrosampling.se
(You can find the plug-ins by clicking the ‘Gratis’ button and then following the ‘Gratis VST Pluggar’ link.)

Martin Blankenburg MB MooRiMo
(Another piece of freeware that doesn’t seem to be available direct from the developer any more. However, you can still easily find it to download, for example at www.kaosaudio.com/mb-moorimo-free-vst.)
Mike, excellent stuff in that rescue article. I expecially took note of the "don't be afraid to carve up your loops so you can deal with the different drum elements, well, differently." That earned an entry in my "neat mix tips" notebook I always keep by my desk.

(You should probably also pin this thread to the top of the board...)
Old West Audio