Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of Leaves mix
Hi !

Here's my mix. I tried not to use too much plugins. So it's mainly EQ and compression on each tracks.

I rearranged some parts to get a better progression of the song (in my humble opinion). So I muted some guitars, moved guitar parts...

There's no mastering, only a soft limiting (-13 LUFS output, new standard)

Anyway, tell me what you think.

.m4a    JOKERS.m4a --  (Download: 7.31 MB)

(04-08-2015, 10:09 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi !

Here's my mix. I tried not to use too much plugins. So it's mainly EQ and compression on each tracks.

I rearranged some parts to get a better progression of the song (in my humble opinion). So I muted some guitars, moved guitar parts...

There's no mastering, only a soft limiting (-13 LUFS output, new standard)

Anyway, tell me what you think.
Overall you have a technically good mix in the fact that all the instruments can be heard, but there is no energy or depth, it's incredibly dead sounding. The delay on the vocals is a nice touch and does add some variety but I feel as if I'm listening to the band in a dead room and not in a live space. Try making a global reverb track for all the elements and work the send volumes of all the instruments in to that reverb. It really helps glue things together and give the mix a sence of space and depth. Also the toms have a fair bit of rumble in them and it interferes with the bass and kick a fair bit. Hope this helps

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Alright here's mix 2. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I hope it's now much more alive than dead Wink

.mp3    JOKERS mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.26 MB)

(05-08-2015, 07:25 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Alright here's mix 2. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I hope it's now much more alive than dead Wink
The new mix is really nice and full, the band sounds like they are performing together without being washy and killing the presence of the induvidual elements. I really like how the snare sustain blends with the reverb, nice touch. The backing vox and the picked part in the second chorus seems to be a little hot, but nothing to really fix with it. The mix sounds finished
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thanks a lot Smile