Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouche Draper Mix
Here we go with some clean clean clean tracks! Tried for a lot of movement in my mix with panning and a few leslies. Honestly didn't do too much to it. Eventide Ultrachannel on the Lead vox, as well as background, but for the background vox it was mainly to micropitch. Hit the bass with the Lost Angel compressor into the slate VCC, tube circuitry, with revival pumping up the thickness. A lot of panning and a decent amount of pan automation on the percussion tracks. On the master I have the Slate VCC buss channel (N circuitry) to the slate FG-X comp/mastering fx with the Pop master preset, feeding the Basslane to my Thrillseeker XTC, going to my Modern Analoguer, which then goes to my Baxter EQ that I use to boost my Sides (it has the capability to do M/S EQing) with my Maxwell Smart rounding out my master buss. I didn't buss things down to stems like I normally would, I just kind of let the song ride. Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Offers for coffee?

Did this in about an hour and a half.

Cheers!
Draper

.mp3    Mouche.mp3 --  (Download: 7 MB)

Really nice mix. Hard to fault. Like how everything has it's own space, very well put together. Was curious at first that the gtrs were so low, but kinda like it now, leaves more room everything else.

Thanks man. With such nice files, it fell together really nicely. Yeah, I questioned myself about the guitars, but I think I made the right decision. Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, mate, this is pretty solid. I'd maybe ease up on the vocal effects a bit, but that's more my taste than anything.

Only thing really jumping out at me on a casual listen is a vibraphone sounding thing. Some of the volume swells are throwing the balance and distracting me a little.

Nice work, Draper.

BB
Only just noticed you did this in 90 mins. How the hell do you guys do that? Sounds even better now!
Honestly, the biggest thing that I think that I do is to mono everything out, and do all of my leveling and eq's (both surgical and tonal) while in mono. Then I space everything out (by panning), add some effects that I think the track could benefit from (I'll try effects out while monoed [mono'd?] as well).

Also, I learned this from reading Zen and the Art of Mixing by Mixerman: if the song is making you dance, you're on the right track. If i start getting into it and digging it, I'll take a bounce of it then. It may not be the final mix, but sometimes the early mixes end up beating the mix that you've tried to massage for hours, because you've lost perspective. The earlier mix may be able to help you with your mix as well, if you HAVE lost perspective, and need a reminder of where you came from. If a part sounds worse with all of the time you've spent on it, trash the effects and start over.

Also, I'm a live audio technician as my "day job", so that has made me confident in the (quick) decisions that often need to be made. If you make yourself make a quick decision, make sure that it is an educated one, based on enhancing the song, not just "making the part sound better."

Hope that gives a little insight!

Draper
Hi Draper,

"Did this in about an hour and a half."

Man, it took me an hour and a half only counting all the tracks ;-)

(and then 3 more hours to mix it)

Like the sides very much!

cheers,
Luc

Pro Tools 12.7
https://soundcloud.com/luc-van-der-stap
http://www.aecom.nl
-Mobile and static studios are ready :-) http://www.audioreg.com
'Mixing is pure subjective, once the 1st mix is launched it will be considered as the best, hence the standard'
Hi loweche6 i have just listened to your mix,its sounds really good,well done.
Excellent work.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.