Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
pennies (i renamed it because i thought it fit the song better)
hey guys i really need to get better at mixing i need honest opinions so please tell me things that i did good and things i did bad thank you

.mp3    in the end .mp3 --  (Download: 7.6 MB)

Right off the bat, I notice that the drums are wider than the guitars. Obviously this is a matter of personal taste, but industry standard for this style is wider guitars.

Overall, however, the guitars are too loud and the drums are really suffering. Try spreading them out in the stereo field, and give the drums a lift. Heavily compressed drums are usually the right fit for this kind of music, and the compression will help you bring them up while keeping them stable in the balance. The drums are a bit flimsy, but I can't tell if that's perceptual, due to the super macho guitars, or if there's something amiss... sounds like they're really hurting for low end, though.

I'm also noticing the guitars half quite a bit of bottom end... it would help the drums and bass perform their musical duty if they could cut through a bit better in that region, so it'd be a good idea to attenuate it a little. One of the guitars has a lot of low end that's ringing out in the right speaker well after the note chokes off, and it's skewing the stereo image to the right on occasion.

Hard to say what ambience effect you're using on the vocal with certainty, but I rather like it a lot. Very nice use of space around the vocal.

My main advice is to reconsider the left to right as well as top to bottom imagery of your mix. Low frequencies are felt by the body, high frequencies are heard in the head... this creates a vertical sense of space. Make sure the stuff on top has a nice, consistent, solid floor to sit on, but don't let the bass knock you out of your chair unless the mids and trebles are filled out as well. Keep your most important mix elements, bass, vocal, snare, and kick, in the dead center... balance them vertically as I've described. Everything else should be spread out to the sides... and make sure the chorus is considerably wider than the verse.

This isn't awful, though. Main thing is that you need to back way off on the guitars so the more crucial mix elements have enough sonic real estate to perform their musical function.
thank you so much for being honest and really pointing out what i did wrong this helped me thank you
I'm glad you found my opinions useful. Do you reference other songs as you mix?
The Gitare has to much low end (rumbeling). Drums ned more punch adn overall ther should be more clearity but belance is allready good between the instruments thay stay in ther spots ;D
maybe listen to my mix of this song