Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Never Stop - Bold Beagle
I joined the forum to try and recover some lost mixing mojo and get out of this deep, deep rut.

Feedback is more than welcome and will be graciously returned.

This particular track is pretty nicely recorded compared to what we usually encounter in project studios... a pleasant surprise. A little bit of funny stuff on the vocals, I'm guessing related to the microphone used... if pressed, I'd guess it's one of the lower cost Rode condensers.

.mp3    NeverStop_BoldBeagle.mp3 --  (Download: 9.59 MB)

Your MOJO is exactly what's missing from this mix. Sonically it sounds spot on but that excitement at the chorus is lacking. Doesn't look like you've lost much of anything except that **** Cool Can't wait to hear more mixes from you.
Thanks lupopazzo for kind words. This mix definitely needs a bit more finessing and automation to really get the emotion across.
Hi Bb I must say I agree with Lupopazzo all what's missing is a little "grit" if I could call it that, very good though.
No problem...you have a great mix!
Thanks for listening, Cudjoe. I like grit, too... where do you think it's missing? Is the mix a little too clean/sterile?
Hi I think on bass and some guitars and snare but it's a subtle thing (harmonics thing) so be careful if you are going to attempt it because it has to fit, but thats only my opinion, it is still a good mix.
Good balances in terms of frequency and volume levels, vocals sit well in the mix, and the overall impression is pretty good.

Some more long-term dynamics would make this very good mix a perfect one IMO. But it actually works for me as is. I'm not into the aggressive modern way of mixing.
Your mix feels really good to me!

What I personally would change though is the vocals a half dB down especially in the verses.

The snare in the chorus could be a tad louder with more transient punch. It feels especially odd in the last chorus when the drummer really bashes the crashes but only lightly hits the snare. This was an performance issue though.

I think also the guitars in the chorus could be a bit louder and wider. Are the doubled guitars already hard panned?

Cheers!
Hey Stoman, thanks for kind words.

You're right, the long term dynamics suffered from my quickie mastering job. The forum members are a more sophisticated lot than I suspected, though, so I've since not given in to that temptation on subsequent mixes.

I'll review your mix when I have some time Big Grin thanks!

BB