Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check out my mix
This is my interpretation of South of The Water. I am new to mixing, so if you could take time and listen to my mix and give me any kind of feedback, and I mean any kind. I would greatly appreciate it. This mix is edited, not mastered. Thank you. Look forward to your critiquing.

.mp3    South of The Water.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

(06-07-2015, 08:00 AM)rokstarroybal Wrote: This is my interpretation of South of The Water. I am new to mixing, so if you could take time and listen to my mix and give me any kind of feedback, and I mean any kind. I would greatly appreciate it. This mix is edited, not mastered. Thank you. Look forward to your critiquing.

It's not bad for a first go. My early stuff was horrendous. You've got a lot of mud going on in your mix. Basically what is happening is that things are competing in the stereo field for the same space and things are stepping on each other. You've got to figure out how you want to build a song. I usually start with the drums. I mute everything and start with the bass drum and get it sounding right. I them do top snare, bottom snare, overheads, toms and room mics last adding each one layer after layer. After I get my drums all neat and cozy I buss them all to an AUX track and add reverb, eq and compression to the whole drum kit. Bass usually sits in the middle so I do that next. Guitars and the midrange instruments usually get panned to the outside and the vocals I add last. Each thing has a place in the stereo field and often times the hard part is getting a mix that feels balanced on both sides. Keep it up, most of it is just keeping with it.