Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Horses in Tucson
Hey.

Work in progress. True but also an excuse. I found there to be a honkey problem in the acoustic guitars after the solo. May have been that I made it worse but I think it was a recording issue. Did this on laptop with less that ideal phones. Only Cockos plugs and Ozone5 mastering plug on a couple tracks. Tried to keep it simple and not over process and over effect.

Notice I cannot hear the kick on laptop speakers, but does that matter I wonder. Definitely have some clean up work to do.

Later on that day. Put the Ozone mastering plug on the master track and used reverb and limiter. I thought the whole thing needed to be gelled together. Took some energy out of the kicks also and backed off on the lead vox. I panned a couple things out the outside more. The master track reverb helps I think but there are a couple places where I could have made the room smaller or just backed it off where the vocals are better intimate and close. I also had to reign in the highs on the hi hats around 2:35.

.mp3    dark horse_1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.98 MB)

.mp3    dark horse_1-001.mp3 --  (Download: 7.06 MB)

Weird sounding mix for 2015, but for 1965 great. But are we in 1965 ? No. So, now it is done like this. bass, main vocal, kick and snare are dead center. Hi hat goes 50 L or R (depends on someones taste, I go with hats 50R), than hi tom 50R, mid tom in middle, low tom 50L and floor tom 75L. Shaker goes to the opposite side of hats. If you have multiple guitars in song, pan them LCR, backing vocals -100, -50, C, 50, 100. And thats it. I also had a lots of trouble when mixing this song. I hope we get it right.
I agree with Obelix "contemporary" panning suggestion and I would add:
-try to get a more "meaty" sound from the ele guitars, trying first without any reverb or added effect, just eq and slight compression. reverb pushes the guits too far back on the sound stage.
- also the lead vox (dead center) can get some more content in the 500-1k Hz. It's simpler to start with the DT track is frozen, just to deal with one single voice track.
- The snare sound is good, but the rimshot towards the end should get a different treatment (squeaky and too much transient).
All of the above according to my humble opinion...
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Thanks for the comments Obelix and Lammy. Always appreciated especially any suggestions with panning and the stereo realm.