Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Morning Sickness Modern and Classic Mixes
I tried mixing this song a couple of different ways. One is mixed in a more "modern" style, while the other is closer to a 60's style mix.

.mp3    DemoMorningSickness Modern Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.12 MB)

.mp3    DemoMorningSickness 60\'s Style.mp3 --  (Download: 11.33 MB)

I liked your modern mix more than the bands actual mix lol! The 60's mix is also really great. What was your approach to getting a 60s sound? I'm curious about the big-picture things you considered to make a 60s mix.

~
SH
Thanks. Every now and again I do a mix that emulates a late 50's or 60's recording. To answer your question, basically I listen to a ton of vintage music. And every time I do I'm always in awe of how crisp and clear the music is. Partly it is the equipment they used and the limitations of the time. There wasn't the ability to do half of what we can do with a modern DAW. Keeping it simple is key. Part of the equation is not fighting the instrument. When mixing I try to bring out what is already there, not manipulate the track to sound completely different. So I've spent a ton of time listening to what guitars, drums, amps, basses, pianos and whatever else I'm mixing sounds like raw. The best mixes are often the ones that require very little mixing or shaping of any kind. The other piece of the puzzle is placing things in a particular part of the stereo field. Placing the Drums to the left or to the right was a common practice in the early sixties and it presents a unique set of challenges and advantages. The biggest advantage is that nothing is stepping on anything else in the mix, so clarity is often easy to achieve. The difficult part comes in balancing out the rest of the mix so that it doesn't feel heavy to either side. A common practice of the time was to put drums on one side and guitars or a piano on the other. With this sort of mixing in mind there is often plenty of room for things to breathe and to feel natural. In a nut shell, the way they did it back in the 60's blows my mind on a regular basis and it gives me something to aspire to. Anyways I hope that helps give you a look into my though process.

Some listening examples would be
Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 - Mas Que Nada
Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five
Jane Morgan - My Foolish Heart
The Jimmy Hendrix Experience - Foxy Lady
Booker T. and The M. G.s - Green Onions

Another method I do every now and again is to mix a song as a huge mono track. An example of that style would be Dick Dale's Misirlou.

Hey there Smile Very interesting the 60s mix, so here are my thoughts and questions about it....

Drums! Obviously hahaha....(u didnt expect that uh? Tongue ) I wont say anything about the placement, dont worry. Still they sound louder than everything else, i've got the feeling that im listening to the song by the drummer. Also i kinda get that there's a bit of ambience on the right channel from the drums, I'd definetly enjoy more, like a room reverb panned to the right. I imagined this like listening to the band inside the recording studio with the drums on one side, guitar, keys on the other...singer in front...An so a room reverb, will help placing things, I'd expect some drums on my right ear being in the middle of this room..something like a short reverb, u know what i mean Tongue

Singer...It's buried in the middle, there are part where it's merely audible. As i said i got the feel that the drums are ur louder instrument and that helps a lot to steal the focus from what should be the main character in this play, the lady singing Tongue

Now, about the synths....My only question is...That bass synth...you have that in stereo...right? Or at least there's something that sound like that... so it's at the same time on the right side and as well on the left side with the drums...It feels weird to me as it screws up the image of where the instruments are positioned in my head....I'd understand if u'd like to go bass/drums on the left (i knoooow...as much as u can contain the low end just on one side of the stereo hehe) or dead in the middle...but at the same time left and right... :/ Maybe is not that, but there's something that gives me that feeling.

I liked ur mix, this are just questions that popped into my mind while listening to it, as it's not common to listen to this kind of mix Smile
Hey very interesting mixes! Are you using the ambience mic to create reverb effect?
(26-11-2018, 12:29 PM)79 Music Studio Wrote: Hey very interesting mixes! Are you using the ambience mic to create reverb effect?

Honestly I can't remember. Probably not. I don't remember doing anything intentional like that. I think I just panned things differently for each version.