Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
C U Next Time (CLA Mix)
First off I would like to say I enjoyed listening to some of your mixes though many seemed to miss the mark. I have uploaded my mix and will take you through a step by step process of how I got there

Drums

Drums came in with a lot of samples already. The first thing I happily did was trash all of them. I replaced the kick with a cleaner sample and put in my snare sample with a little natural ring in it to help fit in. Kick and Snare both got a touch of SSL comp and Neve 2254 comp. Next was the toms. Left and Right people! the overheads were in tact pretty well so no compression there. The rooms were destroyed by someone who that it was cool to put a sample kick in there. (high passing was my friend here unfortunately taking away from some of the stereo field) Kick and snare were ran through my Sony DRE2000 on a 1 second room setting with a high Resonance to help the samples out. The drums as a whole were also parallel compressed.

Vocals

Vocals started through my SSL EQ. From there it was sent to my 1176 Rev A at 4:1 quick release for some abuse to get the character to really sit. Backing vocals were handled by knobs to the wall on my VacRaks.

Bass

Bass was ran through the SSL EQ at first with some warmth added by my Pultecs. Then sent out to a 1176 Rev D at 4:1 for about -7 dbs off. When the chorus kicks in, A distorted channel of the bass kicks in to add some grit.

Guitars

Guitars got the usual treatment of SSL EQ and LA3A action. No verb was used except for a couple of lead channels with some filtered delays. When the chorus hits, my Eventide H3000 kicks in to widen the stereo field of the guitar to give it that huge anthem feel.

.mp3    C U Next Time (CLA Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

Wow! Another HUGE, fat mix from you Mr Lorde-Alge... We'd expect nothing less, of course!

... but, if I'm being picky, the overheads are sounding pretty nasty in the high mids, particularly when the drummer plays the ride bell - there's a real prominent resonance in that "csshh cshh" area (technical term Wink) when he plays the open hat too... maybe a touch more level from the LV too...

... will it cost us another 7 grand for a recall?...Confused Big Grin
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(26-06-2015, 09:37 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Wow! Another HUGE, fat mix from you Mr Lorde-Alge... We'd expect nothing less, of course!

... but, if I'm being picky, the overheads are sounding pretty nasty in the high mids, particularly when the drummer plays the ride bell - there's a real prominent resonance in that "csshh cshh" area (technical term Wink) when he plays the open hat too... maybe a touch more level from the LV too...

... will it cost us another 7 grand for a recall?...Confused Big Grin

What you are hearing is most likely room mice as a mix with very little overheads. Room mice are one of the most important energy pushers of a mix. You're cooking your meal and adding the ingredients. I don't want bland chicken, I want some seasonings, some spices! Horrible room or not they need to be there. I can name a handful of bad rooms off prominent rock albums from the mid 2000's....Not to put a bullet through the head of the engineers working on tracking these projects for this forum, but good sound starts at square one. Polishing turds don't work in this industry. Especially with a sound source as complicated as room mics. As for my LV level... well I think we are just talking preference at this point Cool. Have fun guys!
Thanks Mr. Lorde Alge for taking the time for us ...i feel that i'm actually learning something by listening to your mix and explanation !
**Bows**
You got to believe in yourself before you can believe in anything else.
Thank you For your Awesome reference track and Notes,a great example of what can be achieved with the multi tracks provided is a lot more powerful than feedback !
Just a Couple of Questions if you have time.
Would love to know what snare and kick samples you used ,are they from the Slate CLA expansion pack ?
With the Drum room approx what frequency did you Hi pass them ?

Thanks Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Go Switzerland!
Thank you Chris!!!
Chris what did you do with the BVs? EQ wise what is your usual approach? They sound in the right spot! Thank you!
Chris. Looks like all that Compression you use is making your hair fall out. Nothing an expensive prosthetic hair piece won't fix. Knock on your Plastic Surgeon neibours door. He might be able to help you out.
James
London
there is a simple way to make a bad mix sound impressive....slam it into a brick wall and nail all the dynamics until the listener's DAC can't handle the levels and ends up totally distorting - novices brought up on mp3's can't get enough of it. that's what's been done here, and you've ALL fallen for the "Loud is perceived better" syndrome. i recommend you imagine how this would sound on iTunes with the auto leveller engaged (at approximately -16LUFS). this mix would be attenuated by at least -11dB against a more dynamic presentation, and that's only for starters!

those of you who aren't suffering from hearing fatigue after playing this joker's mix, i recommend you get your hearing checked.

ChrisLordAlge: Registered 25-06-2015, last login 08-01-2016 04:31 AM
TST Studios: Registered 25-06-2015, last login 08-01-2016 02:01 AM

can you smell the coffee yet?

the next thing well see, is some bloke strutting around the forum pretending to be Mike Senior Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!