Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren - Dance mix
Hey people, I know it's a little old song here, but I just discovered this multitrack library recently. Oh, sorry for the english, I'm brazilian.

For me, it was particularly a challenge, because I'm not a real mixer, nor have mixed anything real, just some little songs and instrumentals I make for myself. And using mostly stereo virtual instruments, I was afraid to struggle with the stereo stems. Other challenge was the genre. I don't listen to dance music frequently and my references are very old ones, in the "Disco Age". I listen more to 90's and 00's pop and R&B, so it influenced my mix.

I decided to give it a try because the lead vocal is awesome. The melody, the timbre, everything. So I tried to apply the Mariah Carey effect in the vocals. The harmony of the pre-chorus gave me the idea of the telephone effect, and the contrast it created with the chorus made me very happy Smile

One of the major things I try to bring to my mixes is mono compability. This was a very difficult track to do it while trying to sound full and wide, the most difficult part being the chorus.

I prefer to not change much of the arrangement with editing or cuts, because the producer must have had some intention in putting it there. But I just had to make the intro shorter, so I cutted it in half. And the outro was painfully boring, so I made, just for fun, a little guitar solo based in the verse melody. Hope you like it.

Well, now I want to hear what you have to say about my mix and what I could have done to improve it.

.mp3    Georgia Wonder - Siren.mp3 --  (Download: 13.39 MB)

I Like Your mix ,Good Job with the punchy Kick and tight bass .
Besides the Hi Hat or percussion sounding too loud in the top end around 7k up you have a great sounding mix Big Grin !
Good Job !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Firstly, nice work and I do agree with thedon in that the kick/bass element is very effective. I quite like your snare also. Here's my comments on some other elements of your mix:

- mono playback is great, but apart from an additional hihat and the electric guitars, I don't hear much going on at the edges of the stereo spectrum when listening in stereo. You mentioned you were afraid to work with some of the stereo stems, don't be afraid of anything here! Give it a go, we are always learning and be bold!
- The pre-chorus tends to disappear a bit and doesn't build up to your chorus which you have clearly put some good work into. The modulated vocal effect you have used in the pre-chorus is a good idea, it just needs some more presence and width.
- the hihats become quite fatiguing after a while and could benefit from a slight level drop and perhaps some De-Essing to remove the harshness.
- the breakdown "come to me's" that start around the 4min mark are over compressed and too poppy for my ears. The original versions are already quite compressed, however your choice of EQ decisions are good and bring up the presence nicely.
- If you are planning to get into mixing, it's probably important to note that unless you were requested to by the client, you would never add a production element (i.e. the guitar solo). Your solo tonally speaking does sit well in the mix in this instance though, so cool idea.

Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Mick