Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Progresivo 1, El Vuelo" Mix
Here is my attempt!

I went for the "early Dream Theater" sound, using mostly 1992's "Images and Words" as reference. I think the biggest challenge on this piece was to hold the urge to 'bring out' every single track. Eventually I decided that the guitars should have clear priority over the orchestra, that should act as support for the core instruments. You'll probably think the orchestra is too quiet, but that's how it served it's purpose on my approach, being a "bed", acting as a glue for the other elements. It definitely made a huge difference when muted, so I think it worked at this level. Hope you enjoy!

.mp3    Pablo Martin - Progresivo 1, El Vuelo.mp3 --  (Download: 8.92 MB)

Keep the interesting things up front, I'm down with that approach. There was only one tremolo guitar part that didn't feel like it had enough oomph. So nit picky. I understand the want for a different guitar tone on it, but maybe add a touch of grit to it, or more verb, to help it blend a little more, or stick out a touch more. It starts around 1:22, but it may be in earlier serving a different purpose. I like it overall!

Draper

P.S. It's customary to comment on other posts if you are looking for feedback. If not, post to your heart's content!
Hi! pmartin here
It was a very interesting approach, and i think it was clever to reduce levels of those layers to get what you wanted... i would suggest a bit more orchestra though, but it has a nice sound, very clear, lot of space to keep things clear. This is the first time I upload a multitrack and it is really interesting to see how all of us read the song to create its sound. Thanks a lot for mixing my music!

Here is the next one I hope to upload soon, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjXF8uB3a5k