Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
it was my fault for waiting mix
Thanks for listening!

.mp3    atlantisbound.mp3 --  (Download: 4.68 MB)

Hi christianlopetz,

I just joined so I'm trying to go through a bit of these and noticed nobody has commented on your mix yet which is probably disappointing because I know this is a challenging mix. I think you did a pretty good job with it, but something that might be holding people back from reviewing it is your master is pumped way too hot (-8 RMS with -0 Peak). I brought it into my DAW and pulled down 2.5k by 1.5 dB and shelved the top at 11k by -5 dB and the whole mix by about 2.5 dB so I could gain a better focus on the bits going on underneath.

Here are my thoughts: generally, it's very good! The drum overheads are harsh and up a bit too much, but the lead vocal is excellent and you've put the DT track to very good use. Bass and guitars are fine. I really liked the delay on the guitar solo and the note you added to lead into the chorus before the solo was very cool. I also liked the drum bit in the piano section. I wasn't so fond of the unnatural stop before the drum-fill at the end, though I know their official mix also has a stop like this -- but it doesn't really add anything and it takes away from the momentum (this is all opinion, of course). I also would have like to have heard more of the choirish bits.

But generally, although the presentation is harsh, you've got a really solid foundation. Take down the mastering RMS and drop the overheads to lose some of the harshness, and you should be in really good shape Smile