Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Long Wait Dark Horses
I used GarageBand and free plug-ins. Comments are appreciated.

.mp3    Dark Horses - The Long Wait 06182015.mp3 --  (Download: 4.49 MB)

The stereo widener effect (or phases affecting effect/stereo panned track with the phase flipped) on the acoustic is a little disconcerting to me. It feels really unnatural. Your balances are nice, but the acoustic is too isolated from the mix, and the acoustic and the cymbals and vocals are overly bright for my taste. Make sure you monitor it in mono every so often to make sure your acoustic doesn't fall in on itself (and it's just a good approach to mixing [create your rough mix in mono, without panning] as it really makes you focus on getting your levels correct [even though your levels are fairly decent as they are, everyone can always improve] and making sure the eq spectrum is right for the song [I like using brackets in a really long parenthesied thought/sentence/statement]).

It's a good start, but the acoustic really throws me. Happy mixing!

Draper

P.S. It's generally a rule that if you want comments on a mix, you should comment on other posts in the forum too, just FYI. Sorry, not trying to be dickish, just letting you know how it rolls around here.
(19-06-2015, 12:52 AM)loweche6 Wrote: The stereo widener effect (or phases affecting effect/stereo panned track with the phase flipped) on the acoustic is a little disconcerting to me. It feels really unnatural. Your balances are nice, but the acoustic is too isolated from the mix, and the acoustic and the cymbals and vocals are overly bright for my taste. Make sure you monitor it in mono every so often to make sure your acoustic doesn't fall in on itself (and it's just a good approach to mixing [create your rough mix in mono, without panning] as it really makes you focus on getting your levels correct [even though your levels are fairly decent as they are, everyone can always improve] and making sure the eq spectrum is right for the song [I like using brackets in a really long parenthesied thought/sentence/statement]).

It's a good start, but the acoustic really throws me. Happy mixing!

Draper

P.S. It's generally a rule that if you want comments on a mix, you should comment on other posts in the forum too, just FYI. Sorry, not trying to be dickish, just letting you know how it rolls around here.

Yes, I threw the right channel on the acoustic guitar out of phase. I thought it was interesting but, yes, very unnatural. In this mix, I put the right channel of the acoustic back in phase and adjust the eq on the master mix.

.mp3    Dark Horses - The Long Wait 06192015.mp3 --  (Download: 4.49 MB)

Third version. Very minor clean up.

.mp3    Dark Horses - The Long Wait 06262015.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)